Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Front Bearing Progress, yes
J P Stein
post Jan 11 2003, 04:37 PM
Post #1

Irrelevant old fart

Group: Members
Member No.: 45
Region Association: None

In to have some lunch.

The fittment is going fairly well.

Slop is NOT a problem....many fits are tighter than hell.

My A arm shafts are prolly bigger than most at 1.421.
The hardened sleeves (inner race) ID is 1.421, but as they are a bit out of round (not unusual with a thin sleeve) it makes fitting dicey.....once they are started on, you're committed. Let's just say they are never coming off in one peice.

The same was true with the aft brg holder. Those are way out of round due the goodie welded to the side of em. That took some doing:
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
J P Stein
post Jan 12 2003, 04:37 PM
Post #2

Irrelevant old fart

Group: Members
Member No.: 45
Region Association: None

Actually, once I got it figured out, it worked fine....see pic.
In this case, the outer race is stronger than the "cup" (gud wurd). The main problem was that the race would initially cock in the cup. Put it under pressure and a slight tap with a model 16 hammer and it squared right up and went in easily. If one has a decent press (I don't), it would be a snap.

The sleeves, on the other hand, were a bitch. If the OD of the shaft is too large and one forces them on, they expand.
Then the needle brg is a stinker to got on......no hammers here. I had to "screw" one on, working it back and forth.
Heating or cooling does no good here. The sleeve will still expand over the shaft.
That's when I decided "the hell with this" and got out the die grinder with the scotch brite discs.....then rounded it off with long strips of emory cloth. Had I done that sooner, It wouldn't have been such a PITA.....of course if one has a boring mill.......

If the shaft is too small, it can be "painted up"....as much as .004 or so. Zinc chromate or etch primer.....don't really matter, they are neither round nor concentric to start with.

The bidness ends of the shafts are not concentric.This shows up when the assembly is installed on the car.I have some very slight binding that I couldn't get out.

I guess that's what you have to live with when you put a silk purse on a sows ear.

BTW, I don't think the arms "wear" unless the rubber is totaly shot, in which case, the arms are "toast" (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 11th June 2024 - 09:22 AM