Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Stiffening kit/rollcage or both?
oldsoldier
post May 5 2010, 02:31 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,597
Region Association: None

Just bought a 1973 914 with plans of autox / roadcourse PDX only. I've just had the engine (1.7 carbed) rebuilt as well as the complete brake system done. I bought a used 914 rollcage (4 point bolt in) and plan on installing it next month. Should I also install the stiffening kit as well or will the cage supply enough added support? Thanks in advance....Jack
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
oldsoldier
post May 5 2010, 04:00 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 11,597
Region Association: None

Thanks for the replys guys. I'm sort of caught between and rock and a hard place as the NV SCCA rules require that a rollcage must be bolted in place not welded.
+Quote Post
Richard Casto
post May 6 2010, 08:11 AM
Post #3

Blue Sky Motorsports, LLC

Member No.: 4,523
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(oldsoldier @ May 5 2010, 06:00 PM) *

Thanks for the replys guys. I'm sort of caught between and rock and a hard place as the NV SCCA rules require that a rollcage must be bolted in place not welded.

It has been years since I really looked at the rules, but if I remember correctly in SCCA autocross, if you run "stock" class, then a cage is to be bolted in. If you run something such as "street prepared" class, then the cage can be welded in.

Personally, if I was to run some driving events at speed, I would focus on safety which means I would weld in a 6 or 8 point cage vs. using a bolt in four point cage. That may push you into a street prepared (or beyond) class when you autocross, but so be it. Frankly I am also assuming that the 914 is not going to be a competitive "stock" class autocross car either.

And if you get into doing track events, you will want to do other changes (i.e. not stock suspension tweaks and upgrades) that would push you out of autocross stock class anyhow. Putting in a stiffening kit is also clearly going to push you out of stock class as well.

In short there is no perfect configuration that works best for track and autocross. So be safe on track and autocross for fun (even if you don't win).
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th June 2024 - 10:48 AM