Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Please help/ need advice, Rough running cold
ILM914
post May 9 2010, 01:34 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,126
Region Association: None

Hi verybody: Any help here is greatly apprecialted. My 74 2.0 studders, hesitates and runs rough 1 min after starting up for about 10 min. It runs ok when warmed up fully, but I think it would run even better warm and cold if this problem was solved. I've checked for the obvious vacume leeks - found none, and I checked the temp head sensor neat # 3 cylinder. When I connected the harness wire to negative batt terminal the car would barely run. I guess the sensor is OK?. Thank you for any help on this, everyone on this site has been really helpful - great site!. Thanks, Joe
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
Tom_T
post May 9 2010, 02:06 PM
Post #2

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181
Region Association: Southern California

Check your cold start valve - that's what it usually turned out to be on my 73 2L when giving the cold running symptoms you note.

Here's a link to the part if you need it, but shop around as the price can vary:
http://www.automotion.com/product.asp?pf_i...mp;dept_id=4678
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post May 9 2010, 10:53 PM
Post #3

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(Tom_T @ May 9 2010, 12:06 PM) *

Check your cold start valve - that's what it usually turned out to be on my 73 2L when giving the cold running symptoms you note.

Here's a link to the part if you need it, but shop around as the price can vary:
http://www.automotion.com/product.asp?pf_i...mp;dept_id=4678

Tom,
I thought of that and ruled it out in my head... The cold start injector is supposed to give a little squirt of gas and then shut down right at start up. If it were leaking, it would leak all the time and cause a rich condition all the time. It is under the same pressure as all of the injectors.

The AAR is either supposed to be open or closed (I forget which) on start up and then close as the engine warms. If it were stuck in the warm position, it would cause the car to run rough for the first few minutes and then clean up as it warms. That is why I am thinking AAR.

Although, I have to admit that playing around with misbehaving DJet is a bit like playing that Whack-A-Mole game at the arcade. You throw one new part at it and a new lame part shows up. One after another until you have replaced everything you possibly can. That is why there are so few DJet cars still around. Keeping it DJet is definitely worthwhile just not a simple task.
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st June 2024 - 03:23 PM