Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Engine break-in after initial run
Cevan
post May 17 2010, 12:19 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,351

I've searched here and at other sites for engine break-in procedures. I've done the cam break-in and the motor is now in the car with fresh 20-50 Brad Penn and a new oil filter. Valves have been checked. Fingers crossed.

From what I've gathered, most recommend warming up the engine and then doing a series of fairly hard accelerations under load followed by de-accelerations to help seat the rings, and in between, no sustained rpm driving. Some go as far as recommending you drive it like you stole it and others (Aircooled.net) say drive it easy for the first 100 miles.

I also tried to determine when best to change the oil. Do I need to change it at 100 miles and then again at 500 miles (and then every 3000 miles thereafter)?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
Tom_T
post May 17 2010, 04:22 PM
Post #2

TMI....

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,181
Region Association: Southern California

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif)

I just looked at my 73 owner's manual, which said there is "... no special break in required for your 914 roadster ....", other than to generally keep it under 5000 rpm in most "normal" driving conditions. Moreover - I never had any such break-in required when I had the original 2.0 rebuilt in my 914, nor for the 2.1 waterboxer new longblock in our 88 Westy!

So I don't know where nor why anyone would reccomend such a over-the-top break-in as described above!!?? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Joe, given the above, what you saw when you cracked open yours could've been due to a bad or incomplete rebuild, inferior parts, abuse (maybe the PO's rebuilder did the abusive break-in noted above), or from the DAPO babying it too much. It sounds more like the rings were perhaps too small for the rebuild's honing if it didn't seat after 8000 miles babied or not, rather than not thrashed into submission to seat them.

My long term 914 expert Hans did always say never to baby a 914 & that they were made to be driven hard - but not any sort of aggressive break in. If you doubt it, call Hans Imports & Huntington Beach & ask Hans (Sr.) or Carl - as they've rebuilt more Type IV's than almost anybody here, & Hans was trained on 914s at the factory in the early 70's & knows them inside & out! Cevan - it's long distance, but you could call them too (PM me for tel. or google them)! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

The owners manual/service reccos gives the initial & every 3-6000 miles oil change IIRC, which I would follow if it's a stock US or Euro spec rebuild. If it's an upbuild (2056, 2270, etc.) then follow the engine builders' or kit maker's reccos.

Tom T
Orange CA
///////
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 13th June 2024 - 02:01 PM