Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Poll: How to paint wheel well., Black? Body Color? Undercoat?
How should the wheel well be painted?
What looks best, performs best, etc.
Paint them the same color as the body [ 37 ] ** [53.62%]
Paint them black [ 8 ] ** [11.59%]
Painted them with that nasty undercoating spray! [ 21 ] ** [30.43%]
Paint them with that "hammered look" paint. [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
Other idea? [ 3 ] ** [4.35%]
Total Votes: 69
Guests cannot vote 
thomasotten
post Aug 8 2010, 10:09 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,349

I have seen very nicely restored and/or custom cars with their fender wells painted to match the body, and an equal number where the fender wells are painted black. Modern cars seem to have their fender wells lined with black plastic, at least that is how my VW's and Audis are. This is not something that everyone notices, but some may have an opinion.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
Tom_T
post Aug 8 2010, 12:27 PM
Post #2

TMI....

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,181
Region Association: Southern California

Thomas, on the 914's originally the black in the fender wells wasn't paint per se, but undercoating - either dealer applied or less frequently as a factory option. It was there as added chip & corrosion protection.

If yours is anything but a concours queen & you personally like the look of black wheel wells (to hell with polls of other folks' opinions! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) ) - then definitely go with the black undercoating (Wurth Schutz & some truck bed liners have been recco'd on here).

If you're going to CW it, then I've heard 2 schools of thought on it, both with & without for CdE winners. IIRC the Sahara Beige owned by Steve G/smg on here lost out at the PCA Nat'l Parade - or at least was gigged points for it (rightly or wrongly by the judges) - because he'd removed the original dealer/factory black undercoating from the wheel wells, because Steve liked to show off the #99 customer special order paint color of the car.

Go to O&H Forum, "The few, the rare...." at it's nailed topics & see his 73 914-2.0, then PM or email Steve for his thoughts on it. If you're a PCA member, then you could probably also email or call the current nat'l. Concours Chair & ask the specific question & request a written reply to keep in your 914's file for when you show it & may need to challenge a less experienced/knowledgeable (on 914s) judge(s).

Of course if you're going the CW route, then you'll want to keep it the original color per the Karmann Plate (even if PCNA's COA is in error with a different color - they're often wrong), and resto it to as close to original fitment & listed options from the original window sticker &/or dealer BoS (or COA is those aren't available), with a few "personalization" additions which may not cost you too many points (e.g.: the period correct Porsche Crest shift knob, Porsche side stripes, SS HEs, etc.).

Keep in mind that originality is not judged at all at the PCA's local chapter & zone & usually regional level CdE shows. I was surprised to learn when I took the Zone 8 CdE Judges School in March (to figure out how best to resto my 73 2L), that they're basically only judging who can be the most anal about cleaning every nook-n-cranny (drain vents at the door bottoms, down inside hood/trunk latches, etc. - I mean really? ...... REALLY!!?? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) ). I was expecting much more on who had properly restored & prepared their Porsches to each model's/MY's proper OE spec, than a "cleaning contest"! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) Originality only comes in at the Nat'l./Parade level, and then usually as a tie breaker in tenths of points!

IMHO the lighter colored 914s - perhaps including black - look better with the black undercoated wheel wells, & I certainly prefer the added protection afforded by a good quality & properly applied full undercoating - esp. after spending a bunch of dough on paint/body work etc. on a resto. So I voted for them, but - as I said above - do what you like & want, & what fit's your planned use of the 914, & to hell with my & others' opinions, other than as informational input! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Here's a couple of shots of Steve's Sahara Biege with & without - or before/after his months of undercoating removal - FYI same car with & without for comparison!

Attached Image

Attached Image

Hope this helps!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
thomasotten   Poll: How to paint wheel well.   Aug 8 2010, 10:09 AM
9146986   The original "correct" appearing choice ...   Aug 8 2010, 11:08 AM
underthetire   What are you using the car for?   Aug 8 2010, 11:37 AM
Spoke   The body color in the wheel well, trunks, engine c...   Aug 8 2010, 12:06 PM
Tom_T   Thomas, on the 914's originally the black in t...   Aug 8 2010, 12:27 PM
Tom_T   PS Thomas - after just looking at your build link,...   Aug 8 2010, 12:35 PM
Socalandy   What about the cars that had undercoating? My 72 w...   Aug 8 2010, 01:53 PM
Gustl   My 72 was undercoated, was this a dealer option o...   Aug 8 2010, 03:01 PM
SirAndy   My 72 was undercoated, was this a dealer option o...   Aug 8 2010, 04:06 PM
gopack   WHne i had the body work done, i undercoated the f...   Aug 8 2010, 03:55 PM
9146986   The story I got (from Allan Caldwell) is that at l...   Aug 8 2010, 08:45 PM
jsayre914   i voted undercoat, because of the car down the str...   Aug 8 2010, 09:30 PM
bigkensteele   I have a '75 1.8 that is not undercoated at al...   Aug 8 2010, 09:37 PM
thomasotten   Thanks guys, it is really a toss up with me. From...   Aug 9 2010, 06:48 AM
dr914@autoatlanta.com   I have seen very nicely restored and/or custom ca...   Aug 9 2010, 08:15 AM
realred914   body color looks nice and is most original. under...   Aug 9 2010, 08:28 AM
andys   I scaped off the original undercoating on the rear...   Aug 9 2010, 09:29 AM
rickthejetman   what do you guys think of black truck bed liner? f...   Aug 9 2010, 08:55 PM
'73-914kid   It's really heavy.. But if weight isn't an...   Aug 10 2010, 07:09 AM
rickthejetman   It's really heavy.. But if weight isn't a...   Aug 10 2010, 01:15 PM
charliew   Personally I don't think the diy truck bed lin...   Aug 10 2010, 03:02 PM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th June 2024 - 01:04 PM