Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> What upgrades/safety things does a new owner do?
Super90
post Dec 3 2010, 11:46 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,423
Region Association: South East States

HI all, when my new car gets here I want to go thru it for safety upgrades and eliminate as many roadside breakdown possibilities. It has led a sheltered life, a 2.0. 74 with a lot of great options (less a/c which is ok by me).It has not been driven a lot in the past couple of years.

I was thinking:
1. It has all the original red & green hoses in the engine compartment. Replace all that stuff?
2. Fuel lines replace with SS kit. (who sells?) at same time take out tank & clean it & get new fuel filter. Is there a recommended upgrade filter?
3. Move fuel pump to front. (Could not find a how to type article, any help appreciated) Any recommended upgrade pump?
4. Clutch cable
5. Fan belt
6. Check brake parts & replace/rebuild as necessary.

I want to keep the car pretty much stock so not looking for big brake upgrades or such. But should I use a bigger Mastery cylinder like the one on the early 911?

Any other recommendations appreciated. I've been reading up on the car via a number of threads here & thru the Haynes shop book.

Oh yeah, any other 914 guys/guru's in the Augusta,GA area or in nearby SC or other places reasonably close by? Couldnt figure how to search the memebr list by area.

Thanks,
George
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Dec 3 2010, 12:56 PM
Post #2

914 Guru

Member No.: 7,418
Region Association: None

answers after the questions:
QUOTE(Super90 @ Dec 3 2010, 10:46 AM) *

HI all, when my new car gets here I want to go thru it for safety upgrades and eliminate as many roadside breakdown possibilities. It has led a sheltered life, a 2.0. 74 with a lot of great options (less a/c which is ok by me).It has not been driven a lot in the past couple of years.

I was thinking:
1. It has all the original red & green hoses in the engine compartment. Replace all that stuff?
only on a need to replace basis. The colorful hoses are now all grey and black and if yours are still good do not replace. The original cloth vacuum hoses are fairly expensive as well. It is a testament to your 914 that you still have the originals installed
2. Fuel lines replace with SS kit. (who sells?)
not in a million years unless you have had welding done in the tunnel for clutch tube or floor board. The original factory lines have been well protected all of these years and are usually just fine. They are also a hassle to replace
at same time take out tank & clean it & get new fuel filter. Is there a recommended upgrade filter?
Fuel tank screen replacement, fuel tank clean out, and replacing the lower cloth fuel lines is a good move, replacing the filter is always good
3. Move fuel pump to front. (Could not find a how to type article, any help appreciated) Any recommended upgrade pump?
Do not! We have sold the factory engineers approved fuel pump relocation kit for years, but these days as 914s are not driven much on long hot trips, we see less and less vapor lock. It is a hassle to relocate and I would not do it if yours is still firmly secured to the bottom of the engine shelf. Keep that original car original!!!!

4. Clutch cable
Always a good idea, make sure you grease the new cable before installation and replace the pivot bushing in the front the fork and clevis, the 7mm nyloc nut, the boot and the banjo clip, clean the roller, lightly grease it , and make sure there is a steel wedge at the back
5. Fan belt
probably has never been replaced because it is hidden away. Good idea. It is 10x965
6. Check brake parts & replace/rebuild as necessary.
Absolutely do not take the brakes apart unless there is a problem. Only flush the system with ate blue brake fluid

I want to keep the car pretty much stock so not looking for big brake upgrades or such. But should I use a bigger Mastery cylinder like the one on the early 911?
no 17 mm cylinder is just right for the car. 19mm increases pedal effort

Any other recommendations appreciated. I've been reading up on the car via a number of threads here & thru the Haynes shop book.
valve adjust oil change transmission oil change distributor service and front wheel bearing repack and change the air filter. Check the car over in general including lights and tire pressure.

And lastly, buy the book 914 tech tips 700 and read it cover to cover.

Oh yeah, any other 914 guys/guru's in the Augusta,GA area or in nearby SC or other places reasonably close by? Couldnt figure how to search the memebr list by area.

Thanks,
George

+Quote Post
Super90
post Dec 3 2010, 01:22 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 12,423
Region Association: South East States

Attached Image

Great site fellows and great guys giving good info. Thanks very much. Keep any comments coming---ALL information happily soaked up.

Look forward to becoming a member of the 914 group. I have been a 356'er for decades but had some 914's in the earlier years. Here are some pics in response to the requests. The S90's & the 2.0.

These are NOT trailer queens. They are driven all the time. I just did a 4400 mile round trip in the green car to Park City, UT & back to GA.

Looking forward to meeting some of you folks and driving my car. Thanks guys. All the best, George

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
Super90   What upgrades/safety things does a new owner do?   Dec 3 2010, 11:46 AM
Cupomeat   Ok, My thoughts; 1. It has all the original red ...   Dec 3 2010, 12:09 PM
Drums66   Ok, My thoughts; 6. Check brake parts & re...   Dec 3 2010, 12:53 PM
Cupomeat   Oh and :wttc: POST A PICTURE OF THE CAR!...   Dec 3 2010, 12:09 PM
realred914   the rubber fuelhoses should be repalced with moder...   Dec 3 2010, 12:27 PM
Cupomeat   A few last things, Automobile Atlanta is in the At...   Dec 3 2010, 12:43 PM
JimN73   The throttle cable housing wears/breaks where it g...   Dec 3 2010, 12:53 PM
dr914@autoatlanta.com   answers after the questions: HI all, when my new ...   Dec 3 2010, 12:56 PM
Super90   Great site fellows and great guys giving good in...   Dec 3 2010, 01:22 PM
Madswede   Look forward to becoming a member of the 914 gr...   Dec 3 2010, 09:00 PM
Super90   Hi Nelson, no the car was delivered new to Beverly...   Dec 4 2010, 06:20 AM
Bleyseng   I would replace all the rubber hose fuel line with...   Dec 3 2010, 01:43 PM
brant   Pull the rocker covers off clean out the mud that ...   Dec 3 2010, 01:47 PM
Super90   The concensus so far is if it aint broke don't...   Dec 3 2010, 02:42 PM
realred914   The concensus so far is if it aint broke don...   Dec 3 2010, 03:20 PM
Tom_T   The concensus so far is if it aint broke don...   Dec 3 2010, 08:11 PM
McMark   :agree: There's a ton of stuff to go through ...   Dec 3 2010, 02:38 PM
qa1142   My list went like this Brakes - make sure it will...   Dec 3 2010, 03:35 PM
Drums66   ...& make sure you use a rubber :poke: I mean...   Dec 3 2010, 05:05 PM
914 shifter   check your tires, and put out fires [extinguisher]...   Dec 3 2010, 06:16 PM
r_towle   new rubber flexible barke lines is a must safety i...   Dec 3 2010, 08:38 PM
Spoke   :wttc: Nice car and welcome. Post more pics. Int...   Dec 3 2010, 09:16 PM
timofly   George, Welcome to the Party! As you have al...   Dec 4 2010, 10:10 AM
no1uno   I've been following this closely as I am in a ...   Dec 20 2010, 07:49 PM
Kraftwerk   #1 Do NOT drink that champagne! I find this a...   Dec 20 2010, 08:33 PM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 8th June 2024 - 03:20 PM