Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Where can I buy complete upholstery kits for stock 914 seats, somebody know a good place that ships internationally
nsr-jamie
post Dec 17 2010, 03:09 AM
Post #1

914 guy in Japan

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,305
Region Association: None

Hi, anybody know of some places or sites that sell kits just for the seats to recover them completely? I know of A and P but on their site I only see back and cushion recovering pieces...I am looking for an entire kit that also covers the side bolsters as well. Mine are ripped quite badly and I went to a shop here locally but they don't have or can not get the stock material I am looking for. My car is a 72 model if that helps. Thanks
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Dec 17 2010, 09:53 AM
Post #2

914 Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,418
Region Association: None

The individually adjusting 914 seats consist of three upholstery parts: The cushion the backrest and the bolster/back. The cushion is easy to recover and the kit consists of the padding, so called tufted basket weave face (different cloths were of course available) and the smooth vinyl sides. It is easily replaced by the amateur simply by removing the staples on the bottom, slipping off the old slipping on the new and re-stapling. The backrest kit consists of the headrest in smooth and the padded basket weave portion where your back rests (of all things!) It is more difficult to install as it fits over a foam block and "hangs" on the seat shell and is held in at the bottom with hooks. It must be laced to the foam from behind before being hung on the seat. The amateur can accomplish this though. The final piece is the one that wears the most from sliding in and out of the seat. The bolster/back consists of smooth material, french stitched at the corners which fits over the foam padding on both sides of the seat and travels around the complete back and up the back of the headrest. It is most difficult to install as it needs to be stretched and wires installed and then hooked onto the seat base. Finally the back of the headrest piece has to be glued and screw-holes made in the fabric. If the amateur can install this piece and make it look good, he or she should then go into the upholstery business. The first thing I gave our now full time upholstery man when I was trying him out was a 914 seat to recover (we have thousands of beaten used ones here!!!) I figured that if he could make the bolster look great he was my man. He did and to this day we get superb work from him.
We have long made seat recovering kits for the 914 out of the original materials and really love the fit and finish, but much is in the skill of the installer. Autos International does great great work and we whole heartedly support them. I have sent many a 356 seat to them for complete restoration as the 356 is their specialty.
QUOTE(nsr-jamie @ Dec 17 2010, 02:09 AM) *

Hi, anybody know of some places or sites that sell kits just for the seats to recover them completely? I know of A and P but on their site I only see back and cushion recovering pieces...I am looking for an entire kit that also covers the side bolsters as well. Mine are ripped quite badly and I went to a shop here locally but they don't have or can not get the stock material I am looking for. My car is a 72 model if that helps. Thanks

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st June 2024 - 07:02 PM