Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Recommendation for mechanic in Berkeley?
davesprinkle
post Jan 1 2011, 09:38 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,943
Region Association: None

I just moved from Portland, OR to Berkeley, CA. I've got a 3/4-car garage with no room for even minor work. Can anyone recommend an experienced mechanic in the SF area? (Ideally, close to Berkeley, but I'm prepared to drive a bit if necessary.)

Key thing here is that the mechanic needs to have extensive 914 experience. Sorta like Cap'n Krusty, only in SF.

Thanks in advance.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
tradisrad
post Jan 1 2011, 10:36 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 6,815
Region Association: Northern California

Dave, I would also second high performance house. In addition to HPH being a good shop, he may be interested in buying your TPS boards.
Why Berkeley?
+Quote Post
davesprinkle
post Jan 1 2011, 10:03 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 2,943
Region Association: None

QUOTE(tradisrad @ Jan 1 2011, 08:36 AM) *

Dave, I would also second high performance house. In addition to HPH being a good shop, he may be interested in buying your TPS boards.
Why Berkeley?

Thanks for the recommendation for HPH. Rich did some emergency work on my 914 two years ago on my Portland to LA roadtrip. Replaced a blown muffler, struts, and ball-joint. Had all the parts in stock and put me back on the road in only 2 hours. So he's definitely high on my list of options. I was just hoping to find someone a little closer. I'll check out Porboys in Oakland, but Rich'll be my default if that doesn't work out.

Regarding reason for moving -- I was working as an engineering consultant for about two years. I had some reasonable success -- the first year was slim, but last year I was fully billed for 3 quarters. But in early October, my client started running long on my invoices. About then, I got a call from a former co-worker with a job offer in Oakland, so I thought it was a good time to make a change.

I'm living in Berkeley instead of Oakland because we wanted less authenticity and more liberal bourgeois self-satisfaction.
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Jan 1 2011, 11:15 PM
Post #4

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(davesprinkle @ Jan 1 2011, 08:03 PM) *
I'm living in Berkeley instead of Oakland because we wanted less authenticity and more liberal bourgeois self-satisfaction.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
I sure hope you did your homework on that one.

It may have been that way in the 60s, but today there's nothing "liberal" about Berkeley anymore.
Them old hippies have made the city a living hell for anyone who doesn't think their way. Good luck ...
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/stirthepot.gif)
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th June 2024 - 04:45 PM