Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> winter start up, ok to start car every 2 wks?
914 shifter
post Jan 7 2011, 02:28 PM
Post #1

airhead

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,111
Region Association: North East States

if its close to, or above freezing i was thinking of starting up 70 1.7 d jet once in a while, and letting it idle/warm up for a few minutes.any opinions / facts on this.plus i have a cold start issue i would like to address.on start up the car idles for about a minute then i have to keep it running till she warms up about 10-15 min. of driving.once warm she idles nicely at about 850 rpm. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chowtime.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drunk.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/evilgrin.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
Cupomeat
post Jan 7 2011, 02:38 PM
Post #2

missing my NY 914 in VA

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,376
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Well, this is my opinion on this based on understanding of oil and the engines (EDIT) and this is based on the restriction of not being able to actually drive the car due to salty roads:
1. If you have a T4 motor with a working thermostat and flapper system, as long as you can get the oil to be hot enough to rid itself of moisture (195deg is reasonable), you are OK.

2. If you have a T4 motor without flappers and Thermostat, you are just hurting the engine (both oil and cyl/ring wear) in North East winter weather (and hell, all weather as it doesn't pass air through the oil cooler like it is supposed to).

3. If you have a 911 engine and you are only starting it and idling it, it will never reach operating temp without driving it, so don't do it (there is no air control for cooling). Later 964 and 993 engines (3.6) do not have an engine based oil cooler so all the oil goes through a thermostat and they have better oil temp control and are more likely to reach hot enough oil temps.

I hope that helps. If you aren't going to drive your car, I'd just let it sit for the winter (as long as you have a gas stabilizer in)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 8th June 2024 - 11:25 PM