Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Front Calipers in the Rear of race car
porsche4me
post Jan 5 2011, 03:55 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 483
Region Association: None

Hello - looking for opinions --and info --- are all 70-76 rear rotors the same ???

are all trailing arms the same ??? - are all the rear calipers the same ??

- I have a 914 race car that has no brakes mounted - the body is a 76 --- front suspension is 71 and I bought new rotors for all 4 corners. I have 6 stock front calipers (new and old) + the 2 early ones on the car --

-- and 6 rear calipers (new and old all of them need rebuild) -

-- I have heard people put front calipers in the rear , but should I put early or late front calipers in the rear --- I have both ---- dont care about the e-brake ..... thanks for ideas -- I need to buy pads ASAP ---- going to do Porterfields --- but dont know which ones to buy for the rear ------
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
porsche4me
post Jan 8 2011, 09:55 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 483

This great info for the under-informed like me----- I have done the street car thing for years , where all of the car is either early or late ---- but this race car thing in kicking my mental butt ----- Here is what I have --- the racing series will not allow me to run 911 brakes or any crazy after market stuff ----- I have 2 sets of early front that are in good condition -- I have 1 set of late fronts that are good ---- I have 3 sets of rears (early and late that are all in need of rebuild that I don't have time for)

The race car has an adjustable proportional valve next to the shifter ---- So my original question is ---- can I run front calipers on the front and the rear --- with same or different pads, with the proportional valve --- and if so, early or late in the rear ( I think this was answered -- Early! right?)

Thanks again - it take a couple of time for me to get the understanding I need to move forward with knowledge
+Quote Post
ChrisFoley
post Jan 8 2011, 11:19 AM
Post #3

I am Tangerine Racing

Member No.: 209

QUOTE(porsche4me @ Jan 8 2011, 10:55 AM) *

The race car has an adjustable proportional valve next to the shifter ---- So my original question is ---- can I run front calipers on the front and the rear --- with same or different pads, with the proportional valve --- and if so, early or late in the rear ( I think this was answered -- Early! right?)

In spite of what Eric telling you being all true, you can certainly use early fronts at the rear on a race car that has a proportioning valve. Many racers before you have done it successfully. (I don't though, because I prefer to use heavily modded rears).
It will be important to heavily bias the balance to the front brakes and test in a safe environment until you know the fronts will lock up first if you go beyond threshhold (at the limit of control) braking.
Braking in wet conditions will not transfer as much weight to the front. Therefore the bias can be adjusted rearward when racing in the rain.
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st May 2024 - 11:15 PM