Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Model Specific Information

914/4: 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 914/6: 70 71 72

> CW and fuel lines
scotty b
post Jan 16 2011, 06:16 PM
Post #1

rust free you say ?

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,419
Region Association: None

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) I'm just curious what you CW's think about replacing the plastic lines with steel on a restoration ?Granted they are not original, I am assuming NONE of you would actually run the 35+ year old lines and would at the very least replace them with new plastic lines. That then begs the question, If you are replacing the lines, from a CW standpoint are steel lines still grounds for a beating ? Think about the safety of the car too

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stirthepot.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
JeffBowlsby
post Jan 18 2011, 02:26 PM
Post #2

914 Wiring Harnesses

Group: Members
Member No.: 104
Region Association: None

A couple of notes on the original plastic fuel lines.

They are made of Nylon 6 material, I have a factory original sample with markings on it. Nylon 6 tubing is available from McMaster Carr and I acquired some for just this purpose and previously made some replacements for the two short pieces above the tin in the engine bay. They are formable with a heat gun and take a set to the right configuration, but it takes time and effort to get right. I used a thick copper wire as a form, bent to the right shape. Nylon 6 is a nice milky white color when new, unlike the brown they age into. I have read that the Nylon 6 ages and embrittles not from heat so much, and its actually resistant to high heat which is why the material was specified to begin with, but embrittles from ambient moisture absorption.

It would not be unreasonably difficult to make these.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
JFJ914
post Jan 22 2011, 11:22 AM
Post #3

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 814
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Jan 18 2011, 03:26 PM) *

A couple of notes on the original plastic fuel lines.

They are made of Nylon 6 material, I have a factory original sample with markings on it. Nylon 6 tubing is available from McMaster Carr and I acquired some for just this purpose and previously made some replacements for the two short pieces above the tin in the engine bay. They are formable with a heat gun and take a set to the right configuration, but it takes time and effort to get right. I used a thick copper wire as a form, bent to the right shape. Nylon 6 is a nice milky white color when new, unlike the brown they age into. I have read that the Nylon 6 ages and embrittles not from heat so much, and its actually resistant to high heat which is why the material was specified to begin with, but embrittles from ambient moisture absorption.

It would not be unreasonably difficult to make these.

I have 2 factory new replacement pressure lines (unformed, just straight tubing) for the 76-76 and they are made of Nylon 11. I also have a NOS set of engine compartment lines (formed) and they are made of Nylon 11. McMaster used to have metric Nylon 11 but no longer. Is Nylon 6 a replacement? I tried Google but couldn't determine an answer.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st June 2024 - 12:19 PM