Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> removing a windshield..., any suggestions?
scottb
post Apr 7 2004, 06:57 PM
Post #1

who wants a PEZ?!

Group: Members
Member No.: 32
Region Association: North East States

got a cracked windshield and need to remove the caked on old caulk around the window. the PO loaded it up with caulk on top of the adhesive which then dried and pushed out the trim. am going to probably go with some after-market rubber trim for ease and convenience but i want to clean out the frame and make sure there are no suprises in there.

so on to my question: any easy ways to remove a windshield? should i buy one of those wire thingy's and use that? i have seen a knife type mechanism that has a handle that is pulled to cut the adhesive. is that better? or should i bust out the BFH and the shop vac? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif)

many thanks in advance.....
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
aircooledboy
post Apr 8 2004, 03:31 PM
Post #2

Sweet Pea's 1st ride in daddy's "vroom -vroom"

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,629
Region Association: Upper MidWest

"Still need clarification if lower rubber seal is needed when reinstalling."

The lower rubber seal is actually cosmetic only. It only hides the "glue" holding in the windshield. You will only need to replace it if you damage it in the removal. I have been able to remove 2 or 3 winshields w/o damage to the lower seal except a few very tiny cuts (more like scratches really) that were nearly impossible to see even when looking for them. But on another ocassion, I cut the snot out of it. It really depends on how hard you have to work to get the windshield out, how carefully the cutting is done, and whether you are gonna want a concourse condition seal for your re-install.

"The only reason for pulling my perfect windshield is to replace this vinyl covering. "

Cutting out any windshield with the hope of re-using it is tricky business in almost all conditions. A butyl tape seal is your best chance for success, followed by a bad silicone seal, then a fairly thick urethane bead, with a thin urethane bead bringing you to the "no friggin' chance" end of the spectrum. Even guys who do it for a living will tell you they can't guarantee getting any windshield out in one piece. I would see if your dash repair can be made without removal (I don't know, and since my dash is a train wreck, obviously I don't know squat about getting supplies). If it must be pulled, I would definitely call an auto glass shop. Most will come to you to do it, and it will probably cost less than you think. (the shop I was in charged $35, but that was a long time ago).
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 8th June 2024 - 10:56 AM