Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> One Less Virgin, Didn't even hurt...
d7n7master
post Apr 18 2004, 09:27 PM
Post #1

Gary#

Group: Members
Member No.: 421

Hi All,
Well, I've been planning this since December. Finally got all of the tools & parts. Ran out of excuses. Did my first 914 engine drop - by myself - using the PP method. Worked like a champ. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) Two hyd. jacks rock!!!
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) Now the cleanup begins. Any suggestions of stuff (in the engine bay) to replace while the engine's out??? Thanks!!!

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
Gary
post Apr 18 2004, 10:35 PM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 134
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Great!

I remember my first drop as a a feeling of major accomplishment.

I'd replace every piece of rubber you can get ahold of: intake manifold tubing, all vacuum lines, fuel injector o-rings, fuel lines, oil cooler washers. Now's a good time to clean up (or if you have a high quality crimper, replace) all the spade connector grounds. The intake boot seems to like to split on the bottom. You can check that now too. A new alternator belt is easy now. This stuff is hard/impossible to do with the engine in and can be replaced for south of $100.

Non engine related stuff I'd also check the fuel lines from the center tunnel, the health of the clutch tube and "hell hole". Other "nice-to-dos" that are easier with the motor oout if you have the time and $$: If the rubber brake hoses have never been replaced in your possession, it's easier with the motor out. The firewall shiftrod bushing is a cinch now too. Valve adjust and spark plug change.

That's all I can think of for now, and can all be done in a reasonable weekend (the reason for your motor drop not withstanding). I'm sure others will chime in.

Gary
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th June 2024 - 05:58 AM