Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> OT: Motorcycle Guru's, Dual Carb Question
saigon71
post Jul 14 2011, 07:08 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,428
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

My Ninja 250 (don't knock it till you try it), won't idle without the choke on at least part way (after warmup). There is a definate flat spot through the low RPM range, but once you break through it, the bike winds out well. It has been this way since it rolled out of the shed after winter. I have some sea foam carb cleaner in the tank, and while I have not been riding it a lot, things have not really improved. Idle jet clog?

Thanks.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
saigon71
post Jul 18 2011, 06:50 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,428
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Lucked out on this big time (I think). Drained the float bowls a 2nd time today, reinstalled the battery and took the bike out. Smooth idle without the choke after warmup and it pulls strong all the way. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) Unless something else breaks loose in the fuel system and screws things up, I think it is good to go for the season!

Happy to be riding again. 28HP on a 304lb bike with a 14K redline is just plain fun. Last week I came dangerously close to being "that guy" who has three vehicles and needs a ride to get parts.

Thanks for all the tech support. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) I printed out responses to the original post for WHEN I end up cleaning the jets...and my winterization next year will involve more than just rolling it into the shed.

+Quote Post
tscrihfield
post Jul 18 2011, 07:12 PM
Post #3

Drive Fast and Take Chances

Member No.: 12,156
Region Association: None

QUOTE(saigon71 @ Jul 18 2011, 08:50 PM) *

Lucked out on this big time (I think). Drained the float bowls a 2nd time today, reinstalled the battery and took the bike out. Smooth idle without the choke after warmup and it pulls strong all the way. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) Unless something else breaks loose in the fuel system and screws things up, I think it is good to go for the season!

Happy to be riding again. 28HP on a 304lb bike with a 14K redline is just plain fun. Last week I came dangerously close to being "that guy" who has three vehicles and needs a ride to get parts.

Thanks for all the tech support. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) I printed out responses to the original post for WHEN I end up cleaning the jets...and my winterization next year will involve more than just rolling it into the shed.

Great to hear! I just got done rebuilding a set for a friend on a ZX6R... Just for an FYI you are dealing with KeiHin Carbs! Honda and Kawi's are notorious for them and they are like a Rodchester Quadrajet! "When they are tuned and running, There the best carb out there. When they arent, They're better as a doorstop!" I have been working on them (In my dads motorcycle sweat shop) since I was a kid, they have vacuum controlled throttle jets and are a superb PITA! The vacuum chambers aside from the jet nozzels have to be cleaned as well! When/if you have any other issues take the carbs apart, take the rubber components out such as the top diaphragm and seals and soak the bodies, if you have the ability have the jets ultrasonic cleaned or simply replace them. blow all of the passages out with low compressed air and reassemble. You might want to buy a monometer or you can look up plans on how to build one using clear tube and transmission fluid! However I hope this helps in the future!

Thomas
+Quote Post
Prospectfarms
post Jul 18 2011, 07:44 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 12,801
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(tscrihfield @ Jul 18 2011, 09:12 PM) *

QUOTE(saigon71 @ Jul 18 2011, 08:50 PM) *

Great to hear! I just got done rebuilding a set for a friend on a ZX6R... Just for an FYI you are dealing with KeiHin Carbs! Honda and Kawi's are notorious for them and they are like a Rodchester Quadrajet! "When they are tuned and running, There the best carb out there. When they arent, They're better as a doorstop!" I have been working on them (In my dads motorcycle sweat shop) since I was a kid, they have vacuum controlled throttle jets and are a superb PITA! The vacuum chambers aside from the jet nozzels have to be cleaned as well! When/if you have any other issues take the carbs apart, take the rubber components out such as the top diaphragm and seals and soak the bodies, if you have the ability have the jets ultrasonic cleaned or simply replace them. blow all of the passages out with low compressed air and reassemble. You might want to buy a monometer or you can look up plans on how to build one using clear tube and transmission fluid! However I hope this helps in the future!

Thomas

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

KeiHin's are fussy to work on, but you have to admire the engineering. Some of those ports are so small that after ten years or so you have to soak the carbs in vinegar to clear the calcium from water vapor in the fuel line.

Don't forget the Stabil.

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 9th June 2024 - 04:23 PM