Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Chassis Dyno Questions., I'm considering a purchase.
Series9
post Jul 19 2011, 03:19 PM
Post #1

Lesbians taste like chicken.

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,602
Region Association: South East States

Anybody here have one?

It's not a trivial piece of equipment and would have to pay for itself. I'm interested in hearing from those with experience.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
brant
post Jul 19 2011, 06:42 PM
Post #2

914 Wizard

Group: Members
Member No.: 47
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Joe,

I'm not a shop and not qualified to answer at all.
but I have spent about 12 hours on a shop dyno-jet at my engine builders. This was with a couple of different motors.

My observation is that it's an engine building, engine tuning tool. I think my engine builder likes it because it allows him to send a fresh build out with confidence that it is set up the way he wants it to be. He is now dynoing all of his builds. He is finding and fixing things in the process. I know of one -6 he built which he was displeased with the cam timing and the way the motor pulled on the dyno. It led to a full tear down of a brand new motor, and a discovery that his cam manufacturer had f'd up the cam spec on the brand new cams he had built the motor with.

thats just one example, but its a motor builders tool the way I see it. Used to tune a fresh build and get everything dialed before sending it off to the track.

track time is actually super expensive if you include the tow/fuel/entry fee/ etc.

dyno'ing a new build for a half or full day is much cheaper insurance that a customer isn't going to tow 12 hour to find out that there is something "not quite right" with their new very expensive motor.

In fact. I was told that my builder's warranty expired the minute we took it off of the dyno and pushed it out of the shop. He wis thus able to prevent a customer from doing something stupid and destroying a new motor because of stupid operator error

(such getting the timing wrong, forgetting to put the oil in, or something else idiotic)

As a builder he is able to verify that everything was perfect when it left his shop and that anything beyond that is the operators liability.

brant
User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 9th June 2024 - 05:01 PM