Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Just about to give up, Any Ideas?
matteyp
post Jul 22 2011, 06:38 PM
Post #1

Nothing a little JB Weld can't fix...

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,450
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

So Ive been having trouble with my car sputtering and backfiring and I just cannot figure it out. I have a 1.7 FI. When i rev the car under load it seems like it just has no power. Cars been timed correctly, went through everything and I still cannot figure it out. Hoses look ok, exhaust bolts seem to tighten but wont tighten completly. Not sure if this would cause all these problems or not. Could my injectors be clogged or fuel pressure be to low? Can someone go through a test procedure for this? I really don't want to have to spend another 3 or 4 hundred dollars on this if its just something simple. Thanks Guys

Matt
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
rhodyguy
post Jul 23 2011, 08:02 AM
Post #2

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Group: Members
Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

to expand a bit. matt's issue is he told me that the car ildes fine but under load the the backfiring issue starts. prior to painting he had the car media blasted and the grit syndrome is evident. he showed me the dist cap that had been in the car and there was severe arching on the contact posts.

1. i think you need to verfiy your getting the full advance the engine requires. if you're going to farm out the work, have this done by a pro. the charge should be a minimum amount.

2. the cap swap made 0 diference. yes? what was the condition of the rotor?

3. go thru the box of hoses i gave you, find the appropriate one for the vac adv canister and swap it out. examine the MPS vac signal hose and make sure the ends fit tightly. cut the ends back slightly if the fit is sloppy. test for operation after every move you make.

3. check for good spark on each spark plug and correct gapping.

4. as i suggested, do the injector seals. if the phenolic spacers (gaskets) have never been replaced, get NEW ones. these items combined will set you back $21 and then you can rule them out as potential problems. pelican has them. if you take your car to a shop you'll dish out whatever they charge a hour to troubleshoot these very items. or they'll just throw parts at it and bill you accordingly whether needed or not.

5. how tattered are the plenum to intake runner tubes. sloppy loose or a snug fit?

6. the issue with the heat exchanger nuts is troubling. get the Aero-Kroil or PB Blaster. replace the copper gaskets 4 for $6, and get the correct nuts one time use, $.50 each @ pelican. use the torque wrench approach for removal to help insure you don't break studs or strip the threads in the heads.

7. you have to be systematic in your approach. one fix at a time.

k
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th June 2024 - 04:40 PM