Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Autocross tire thoughts, Here's something for you to ponder
PeeGreen 914
post Aug 16 2011, 03:02 PM
Post #21

Just when you think you're done...wait, there is more..lol

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,884
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

So speaking with Jeff K last night we were talking about tires. I mentioned what my plans were and talked a little about contigencies. I asked what his thought were on tires for prepared classes. This is direct from him

In my experience, the Goodyear is the fastest tire out there. The Avon is second and Hoosier is third. I use to be a contract driver with Hoosier but after doing much testing I found Goodyear to be better and willing to do what it takes to change.

So for my class I will be going with Goodyear.

What are your thoughts on this?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
Borderline
post Oct 7 2011, 09:05 AM
Post #22

Member No.: 3,577
Region Association: Northern California

I'm going to follow Trekkor's lead and try running some 13" wheels. Where I AX (Marina, Ca near Monterey) it is always cold. I can never get any real heat into the tires. the 13" wheels will make some soft compound tires available. They will also weigh less and used tires are available cheap. FWIW
+Quote Post
Solo914
post Oct 7 2011, 09:13 AM
Post #23

Member No.: 5,678
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Borderline @ Oct 7 2011, 08:05 AM) *

I'm going to follow Trekkor's lead and try running some 13" wheels. Where I AX (Marina, Ca near Monterey) it is always cold. I can never get any real heat into the tires. the 13" wheels will make some soft compound tires available. They will also weigh less and used tires are available cheap. FWIW

Maybe this has already been covered, but I was thinking the same thing but was told 13s don't fit over stock brakes. What does it take to make them fit?

+Quote Post
Borderline
post Oct 8 2011, 11:06 AM
Post #24

QUOTE(Solo914 @ Oct 7 2011, 08:13 AM) *

Maybe this has already been covered, but I was thinking the same thing but was told 13s don't fit over stock brakes. What does it take to make them fit?

Trekkor has more experience than I do. I think he has found some Audi/VW Fox calipers that will bolt on the front and clear ok. The rears are very very close. I think some minor grinding on the outside of the caliper...very carefully will do it.

On the fronts, I'm going to do a little extra. My car is pretty much a dedicated AX car that is still streetable. With the 15" wheels I have raised the spindle on the strut to lower the car and still maintain suspension geometry. So as it sits, there is no way I can put 13" wheel on the front. So my plan is to lower the spindle on the strut, machine the rotor to accept a light wt Wilwood caliper, and weld up some mounting tabs for the Wilwood caliper. The 13" tires weigh about 10#. the Wilwood caliper weighs less than 2#. The radical machining on the rotor will save about 3#. The 13" wheels in steel will weigh about 3# less than my 7" revolutions. That's about 20# savings on each front corner. With some savings on the rear, I expect a total wt reduction of about 60#!! That is all unsprung wt and some rotating mass! The Goodyears are available in 165 compound in the 13" size so I'm hoping for a little extra grip and some faster times. All the above number are based on the narrow 13" tires so they will fit under my narrow body fenders. Big plans little budget hehehe
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Oct 10 2011, 09:47 AM
Post #25

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380

QUOTE(Borderline @ Oct 8 2011, 09:06 AM) *

Trekkor has more experience than I do. I think he has found some Audi/VW Fox calipers that will bolt on the front and clear ok. The rears are very very close. I think some minor grinding on the outside of the caliper...very carefully will do it.

On the fronts, I'm going to do a little extra. My car is pretty much a dedicated AX car that is still streetable. With the 15" wheels I have raised the spindle on the strut to lower the car and still maintain suspension geometry. So as it sits, there is no way I can put 13" wheel on the front. So my plan is to lower the spindle on the strut, machine the rotor to accept a light wt Wilwood caliper, and weld up some mounting tabs for the Wilwood caliper. The 13" tires weigh about 10#. the Wilwood caliper weighs less than 2#. The radical machining on the rotor will save about 3#. The 13" wheels in steel will weigh about 3# less than my 7" revolutions. That's about 20# savings on each front corner. With some savings on the rear, I expect a total wt reduction of about 60#!! That is all unsprung wt and some rotating mass! The Goodyears are available in 165 compound in the 13" size so I'm hoping for a little extra grip and some faster times. All the above number are based on the narrow 13" tires so they will fit under my narrow body fenders. Big plans little budget hehehe

Not to mention the instant gearing change giving you big grunt out of corners. I went to 15" Cookies and Victoracers this year from 16" Fuchs and the car really scoots out of corners. Love it!
+Quote Post
grantsfo
post Oct 10 2011, 03:47 PM
Post #26

Arrrrhhhh!

Member No.: 433
Region Association: None

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Oct 10 2011, 08:47 AM) *

Not to mention the instant gearing change giving you big grunt out of corners. I went to 15" Cookies and Victoracers this year from 16" Fuchs and the car really scoots out of corners. Love it!

Its probably going to be a disadvantage on gearing if he stays with stock gearing with a big torquey motor. I'd be looking for a taller 2nd gear. The torque gain just from smaller tires will be more than enough to offset taller gear. What would top speed in 2nd and 3rd be on the 13's?

I'm a true believer in tall gearing for AX after driving my Boxster on tall gears. Even the best shifters are losing time when they shift.

Bill, You would have a TTOD car locally if you put wide 13 inch 165 good years or 25 B Hoosiers on your car. Are you going to put fenders on your car? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif)
+Quote Post
Borderline
post Oct 11 2011, 10:50 AM
Post #27

QUOTE(grantsfo @ Oct 10 2011, 02:47 PM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Oct 10 2011, 08:47 AM) *

Its probably going to be a disadvantage on gearing if he stays with stock gearing with a big torquey motor. I'd be looking for a taller 2nd gear. The torque gain just from smaller tires will be more than enough to offset taller gear. What would top speed in 2nd and 3rd be on the 13's?

I'm a true believer in tall gearing for AX after driving my Boxster on tall gears. Even the best shifters are losing time when they shift.

Bill, You would have a TTOD car locally if you put wide 13 inch 165 good years or 25 B Hoosiers on your car. Are you going to put fenders on your car? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif)

The plan is still to keep it a narrow body. I'm running a flipped 5th for 3rd gear. At 7K I should hit about 68 mph in 3rd. 2nd gear should be good for almost 50 mph. I'll probably still do a fair amount of shifting. The car should be really quick in the slow tight stuff.
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
PeeGreen 914   Autocross tire thoughts   Aug 16 2011, 03:02 PM
BMXerror   My opinion on this is, if you run at a nationally ...   Aug 16 2011, 07:35 PM
grantsfo   I think Good Year is paying him well. Good Year s...   Aug 16 2011, 09:10 PM
BKLA   If cost is no object and I wanted to win in the PN...   Aug 16 2011, 09:34 PM
J P Stein   Could one expect any other answer from a contract ...   Aug 17 2011, 08:48 AM
grantsfo   Could one expect any other answer from a contract...   Aug 17 2011, 06:20 PM
PeeGreen 914   As a contract driver you would expect to hear him ...   Aug 17 2011, 09:58 AM
J P Stein   I ain't gonna argue with you, believe what you...   Aug 17 2011, 11:04 AM
PeeGreen 914   Why does everything have to be an argument with yo...   Aug 17 2011, 11:33 AM
J P Stein   You asked for "thoughts" and got em...   Aug 17 2011, 12:22 PM
PeeGreen 914   You asked for "thoughts" and got em...   Aug 17 2011, 12:33 PM
PeeGreen 914   With the cost of them it is nice to have those go ...   Aug 17 2011, 12:28 PM
Joe Ricard   What car are you going to run slicks on? Certain...   Aug 17 2011, 01:09 PM
PeeGreen 914   Well, that car in my avitar has had a little work ...   Aug 17 2011, 01:22 PM
ChrisNPDrider   Regarding pondering of thoughts related to competi...   Aug 17 2011, 02:41 PM
PeeGreen 914   Regarding pondering of thoughts related to compet...   Aug 17 2011, 03:12 PM
jjackson   Hoosier has supported autox for a long time now-I ...   Aug 17 2011, 06:15 PM
PeeGreen 914   Yes, free is best :evilgrin: Interesting observa...   Aug 17 2011, 06:55 PM
grantsfo   Yes, free is best :evilgrin: Interesting observ...   Aug 17 2011, 10:40 PM
J P Stein   "The modern Boxster " that you built did...   Aug 17 2011, 10:47 PM
grantsfo   "The modern Boxster " that you built di...   Aug 18 2011, 07:39 AM
Krieger   Pick a tire! They'll probably be worn out...   Aug 22 2011, 05:58 PM
jjackson   Had to chime in again- Our current set of bias ply...   Oct 6 2011, 06:36 AM
Solo914   Probably going to get 275-35-15 A6 with contingen...   Oct 6 2011, 09:52 AM
Borderline   I'm going to follow Trekkor's lead and try...   Oct 7 2011, 09:05 AM
Solo914   I'm going to follow Trekkor's lead and tr...   Oct 7 2011, 09:13 AM
Borderline   I'm going to follow Trekkor's lead and t...   Oct 8 2011, 11:06 AM
ConeDodger   [quote name='Solo914' post='1550608' date='Oct 7 ...   Oct 10 2011, 09:47 AM
grantsfo   [quote name='Solo914' post='1550608' date='Oct 7...   Oct 10 2011, 03:47 PM
Borderline   [quote name='ConeDodger' post='1552154' date='Oct...   Oct 11 2011, 10:50 AM
Randal   [quote name='ConeDodger' post='1552154' date='Oc...   Oct 11 2011, 12:22 PM
Randal   [quote name='Solo914' post='1550608' date='Oct 7 ...   Oct 10 2011, 05:32 PM
Borderline   I'm running a flipped 5th gear that gives a ra...   Oct 12 2011, 09:33 AM
jjackson   Placed order for next season- A 6s - 255 X 35 18s ...   Dec 3 2011, 11:08 AM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd June 2024 - 12:45 PM