Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Deck Height, using shims UNDER the cylinder
IHHRA
post Dec 11 2011, 09:14 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,888
Region Association: None

When calculating compression ratio, is it a no-no to use more than one shim under the cylinder to get the desired DH?

Thanks,

Bill
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
'73-914kid
post Dec 13 2011, 12:32 PM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,714
Region Association: Southern California

On stroked motors, or motors that are not your "typical" combination, the only way to avoid shims is to either mill down the top of the piston, or just run astronomical compression ratio. Without shimming my cylinders, I would have had a compression ratio near 12:1. FAT performance can cut shims to any thickness you want IIRC.

Just make sure when you do get shims, or decide to stack the shims, deburr them like Sean said. Otherwise when you put things together, take them apart repeatedly during mock-up, you deck height will change throughout as things settle in.

I don't have any experience in shim stacking to recomend or discern it though. I was lucky enough to find a little VW shop that had EMPI produced shims from the late 80's. They are out there, you just might have to call around.

What size shim are you thinking you will need?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st June 2024 - 06:34 PM