Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Locking steering column...???, is this a necessity???
Mueller
post May 25 2004, 10:59 AM
Post #1

914 Freak!

Group: Members
Member No.: 87
Region Association: None

currently locking mechanism broken*, if one never planned to park on a hill, should one bother fixing it?

as an anti-theft device, the steering wheel can be unlocked if enough force is used (I've done it by cranking on the wheel without too much effort)

*can turn wheel with key out of ignition
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
dmenche914
post May 25 2004, 11:37 AM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 366

Mike: Always hated the locking steering, and many other of the governmnet mandated features of new cars. i have the habbit of turning off the engine and coasting into my parents driveway in my older cars, (worked great in high school days while quitely sneeking in late past curfew). I once was driving a car with locking steering, and tried that trick and almost crashed!

As far as locking the wheel for parking on a hill, do not worry about it. Cars with no locking steering can curb the wheels just fine, youd have to roll a good distance before the wheels straighten out. The locking steering is purely a anti theft device, and as you have found, is of marginal value.

I would be concerned as the other writer mentioned, that the broken piece might fall into the wrong place at the wrong time, and cause a crash, so i would pull the steering wheel, and get the broken bit out of there, then put it back together, and never mind fixxing it.

Locking steering to me is as useful as seat belt buzzers, and starter interuption unless clutch is depressed (as on friends mazda truck) this by the way is hard on the thrust on main bearing (pressure on bearing when clutch depressed, before oil pressure is built up)

At anyrate, get the broken piece out of there, and you will be just fine. For theft protection, get a big bad dog or buy a gun!

By the way, did you get the 1.8 running yet????

dave
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 10th June 2024 - 08:30 AM