Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Performance axle kit
moggy
post Sep 3 2012, 02:19 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,285

Hi guys

In the last rally 2 other Porsche's (911's) went out because their CVs failed. My standard 914-4 ones have now lasted me the past 3 years, but I think I'm on borrowed time. Also, I checked the play and they're excessive, so they're on their way out that's for sure. I was wondering if anyone has experience of these:

http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/smart/...36%29%2C%20Each

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/www.pelicanparts.com-3285-1346703546.1.jpg)

I need them to put up with 200bhp/lbft engine and a whole load of abuse (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif) I think these will do nicely but thought I'd get a second opinion from here from anyone that's tried them.

Cheers

Moggy
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
Krieger
post Sep 9 2012, 10:42 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,104
Region Association: None

Yes you need 911 hubs. They will not fit 914/4 stubs. Sell your old hubs. Someone else was recently looking for axles. Parts Heaven in Hayward were out. High Performance House in Redwood City. Maybe Otto's in Venice Beach, both California. You could get some new Sway-Away that have the correct spline. IIRC 20 1/4" is about the right length. They would float in the CV joints-no locking snap rings and would not need machining to fit. I saw someone on the world site do this...
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Sep 10 2012, 05:42 AM
Post #3

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(Krieger @ Sep 10 2012, 12:42 AM) *

Yes you need 911 hubs. They will not fit 914/4 stubs. Sell your old hubs. Someone else was recently looking for axles. Parts Heaven in Hayward were out. High Performance House in Redwood City. Maybe Otto's in Venice Beach, both California. You could get some new Sway-Away that have the correct spline. IIRC 20 1/4" is about the right length. They would float in the CV joints-no locking snap rings and would not need machining to fit. I saw someone on the world site do this...

Eric Shea did a write up on this in his 5 lug conversion thread. Its what I'm using for my 3.2 on a 914 trans. Hubs, stubs and cv's from a '70 911 were $300 and then the sway a way axles ~300. Might be a good racing set up since the parts are reasonably priced, fairly common and don't require any machining to fit.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 8th June 2024 - 02:00 PM