Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> OT - 944 as daily driver, How reliable are they??
rhcb914
post Oct 14 2012, 07:03 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,626

I'm looking for something more fun as a daily beater...umm commuter.

I have a commute of about 100 miles round trip and my daily driver is starting to have transmission issues 04 mazda 6 wagon.

I can go 1 of 2 ways

1) Late model Toyota or Honda...boring ride

or spend the same $$ and

2) mid 80's 944 and maybe a late 90's jeep cherokee

If I have to drive this much I may as well enjoy the ride. How reliable are the mid 80's 944? If I get a realitively low milage one that has been maintained.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
keske968
post Oct 20 2012, 08:43 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 6,778
Region Association: None

I have had a 944 and currently have a 968 that I use as a daily driver. The 968 seems to be cheaper to maintain mainly due to a half price clutch job compared to the 944 (4 hours labor instead of 15-20). I have had no major issues just standard stuff you would find on amy car. My 968 get appx 30mpg at 70mph. So no complaints there. I bought mine wiht 70k on the clock and I am up to 155k now. She still gets me where I want to go rain, shine, or snow.
+Quote Post
Madswede
post Oct 21 2012, 02:36 PM
Post #3

Flat Out Driver

Member No.: 6,831
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(keske968 @ Oct 20 2012, 08:43 AM) *

I have had a 944 and currently have a 968 that I use as a daily driver. The 968 seems to be cheaper to maintain mainly due to a half price clutch job compared to the 944 (4 hours labor instead of 15-20). I have had no major issues just standard stuff you would find on amy car. My 968 get appx 30mpg at 70mph. So no complaints there. I bought mine wiht 70k on the clock and I am up to 155k now. She still gets me where I want to go rain, shine, or snow.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) I've got just over 200k mi on my 968 and I still get compliments and people stopping to check it out (when she's clean and waxed). Only I really notice the myriad of road scars, but considering what I've put this car through (some hard street driving, mostly in the mtn roads and loooong freeway commutes - 100k miles since I got it in 2007) she's running like a top. Still gotta fix a few nagging things (power steering leak mostly, fog lights that can't be replaced easily due to stripped/seized nuts n bolts, rear wiper assembly, other cosmetic stuff) ... but ol' reliable she is!
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 9th June 2024 - 05:35 PM