Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Cost of a paint job
Harpo
post Oct 23 2012, 04:21 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,469
Region Association: None

Good afternoon everyone,

How much should I budget for a paint job? My car was origionally blue and one of the previous owners repainted it red. I would like to go back to the factory blue. I was thinking about sanding down to the origional blue paint or should I just let them add another layer.

Thanks

DAvid
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
toolguy
post Oct 23 2012, 05:35 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 12,889
Region Association: Southern California

Plan on doing it right the first time, or you'll regret it later. . .
Your paint and supplies with be in the $1000 to $2000 alone for good quality paint. .
Hell, a gallon of DP40 primer with hardner and reducer will be $300 and that is jobber cost. .

I have a good friend who has a higher end, quality paint shop, and he always budgets $2000 for paint and supplies, except red's, which are a lot more expensive . . . It's amazing how much tape and paper will be used to do a professional job. . . Next is considering you remove all the doors, hoods and engine lid. . remove all the lights and emblems, handles and such. . you don't want to tape anything you don't have to. .

Sanding and prep will take 2 guys 2 full days, shop rate is $85 hr. . so that is $2500, and that is the outside pannels. . if you want the front and rear trunks done add another hour each. . .
Door jams another hour each. . {Adds up fast, doesn't it}
{I spent a full day on each door blocking and primering them to get them flat. } so doors and jambs and trunks can easily add another $2000-3000

Painter will take 1/2 day another $350. . . then color sand and buff another full day 1 guy. . = $700. .
So at this point you're up to $5000 minimum and you still got to put it back together. . .

I know 8000 - 10000 sound like a lot, but when you look at what has to be done, by the hours, to get a 1st class quality job equal to the original factory paint, that is what it takes if the shop does all the work. . . .
+Quote Post
scotty b
post Oct 23 2012, 05:38 PM
Post #3

rust free you say ?

Member No.: 3,419
Region Association: None

QUOTE(toolguy @ Oct 23 2012, 03:35 PM) *

Plan on doing it right the first time, or you'll regret it later. . .
Your paint and supplies with be in the $1000 to $2000 alone for good quality paint. .
Hell, a gallon of DP40 primer with hardner and reducer will be $300 and that is jobber cost. .

I have a good friend who has a higher end, quality paint shop, and he always budgets $2000 for paint and supplies, except red's, which are a lot more expensive . . . It's amazing how much tape and paper will be used to do a professional job. . . Next is considering you remove all the doors, hoods and engine lid. . remove all the lights and emblems, handles and such. . you don't want to tape anything you don't have to. .

Sanding and prep will take 2 guys 2 full days, shop rate is $85 hr. . so that is $2500, and that is the outside pannels. . if you want the front and rear trunks done add another hour each. . .
Door jams another hour each. . {Adds up fast, doesn't it}
{I spent a full day on each door blocking and primering them to get them flat. } so doors and jambs and trunks can easily add another $2000-3000

Painter will take 1/2 day another $350. . . then color sand and buff another full day 1 guy. . = $700. .
So at this point you're up to $5000 minimum and you still got to put it back together. . .

I know 8000 - 10000 sound like a lot, but when you look at what has to be done, by the hours, to get a 1st class quality job equal to the original factory paint, that is what it takes if the shop does all the work. . . .

thank you (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 9th June 2024 - 10:49 PM