Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> 2.0 Flywheel - Depth Specs, making lighter...
RoadGlue
post Jan 25 2013, 02:39 PM
Post #1

Sonoma County Gear Head

Group: Admin
Member No.: 108
Region Association: Northern California

Hey, at work and just wondered if anyone had the depth specs for the 2.0 flywheel? What's the stock weight too? My last flywheel had been lightened, but I didn't weigh it before selling that car. I LOVED how much faster the shifts were and I didn't mind having to bump the idle a bit. Making a little short-stroke beast, and I'd like to lighten it up a bit. Recommendations (I'll spank you if you say, "keep it stock")?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
exdane
post Jan 26 2013, 04:52 PM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,429
Region Association: None

LarryM.
Roadglue was asking for the 2L spec above.
I haven't been able to find the depth spec. easily, - it is not mentioned in Porsche's little spec. book. RIMCO quotes .853"/.857" which equates 21.66mm/21.77mm. Measuring the 4 core flywheels in my shop, I get right around .889" = 22.83mm. - or a bit less. factoring in wear, I tend to agree with the 22mm. I'll cut it to that then. I would have expected 22.5mm though. I have never known a VW or Porsche flywheel step to be some oddball dim, - always in whole or half mm. - A lot of machine-shops will cut the step on the low side, giving the cover an extra little pressure, anticipating wear, and still be good. I suspect that is why these off dims are listed in the AERA book.
The Porsche 228 flywheel is solid steel, the 228 VW is soft cast iron w./ steel ring-gear. - I'm sure you know.
With respect to the lightening procedure, weight obviously should be removed from the perimeter, never from the back of the friction surface.
I would NEVER run a 10lbs flywheel in an opposed 4. - in a 6, yes, but not the 4.
The stock weight is right around 18 lbs on my handy dandy 'not legal for trade' scale,
I'd go with 14lbs, retain a little flywheel effect, and still have an engine with improved throttle response.
What do the 'Gurus' sell re-man. lightened, balanced flywheels for?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th June 2024 - 01:27 AM