Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Garage Lift's, educate me please!
Ferg
post Jun 24 2004, 02:13 PM
Post #1

914 Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 116
Region Association: None

Fergwife and I are house shopping right now, and I got the OK for a garage lift for the new place. I'm just starting to do my research and think I want a 2 post lift for ease of working on the car (wheels suspended) But... I'm finding that 4inch base of concrete is a must, and doubt that newer homes around here have that. So I may have to go the 4 post route, My plans and hopes are 3 cars in 2 car garage, and minor 914 work made easier.

Those with lifts (Gint, Jim, ect) have any insight for me on types of lifts, good experiences with certain companys ect.

TIA (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)

Ferg.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
lapuwali
post Jun 24 2004, 02:28 PM
Post #2

Not another one!

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,743

There are other choices besides the two-post and four-post. The low-lift, like Kwik Lift, which is a lower, cheaper, no-220-required, you can't park anything under it four-post. There's also what I'll call the scissors lift (don't have any ready examples, though I saw at least one on this very board), which is nearly ideal for the 914, but not so ideal for anything else. These lift the car from the four corners of the 914 tub (the donuts), leaving the wheels and the driveline dangling. If you have to work on the exhaust on a front engined car, this model would suck.

The other factor with a four-post IF you intend to do the up/down parking thing is ceiling height in the prospective garage. My garage is 115" from the floor to the joists, which is not quite enough for me to park a Mini and a 914 over/under on a four poster (about 1" short). If you're only ever going to park really low cars on it, no problem. The Mini is pretty short, though.

On the concrete depth requirement for the two-poster; since the thing is going to be bolted to the floor, you could certainly have a contractor come out to dig and repour thicker sections under where the lift will be bolted. You don't have to do the whole floor, just where the posts sit.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd June 2024 - 12:26 AM