Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Exporting a car, Who's heard of this ?
jim_hoyland
post Jul 22 2013, 02:16 PM
Post #1

Get that VIN ?

Group: Members
Member No.: 643
Region Association: Southern California

A local restorer said that cars being exported out of the USA must have the original motor, or possibly the original type motor.

Do freight forwarders handle this ? How can an original motor be identified ?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
Jeff Hail
post Jul 23 2013, 01:05 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 7,712

There have been many vehicles shipped complete and by the Radar O'Reilly method that I am aware of. Some with motors and some without. Many have been shipped in multiple parcels. Usually if the car is papered correctly and no hidden surprises pop up from a vehicles past transit and quarantine are brief.

I only know of one car that got tied up and that was a gray market car shipped from Germany to the USA and then back again in a 10 year span. All were done by the original owner. Due to some odd misunderstanding the car received a valid title in California along with CHP inspection and signoff but never went through Federal EPA/ DOT certification. It just fell through the cracks. It regularly passed state emission testing and inspection. Upon shipment back to its country of origin the EPA/DOT certification was requested by the Germans to confirm its previous Federal citizenship (not state of Calif). They also would not accept the original German paperwork of origin.

It took two years to get that one resolved only because the USA authority insisted they must have EPA/DOT records somewhere in some file somewhere that never actually existed or a title never could have been issued upon entry. (head hits desk go bang)

Short story is anything can happen so expect the unexpected.
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Jul 23 2013, 08:46 AM
Post #3

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(Jeff Hail @ Jul 23 2013, 03:05 AM) *

It took two years to get that one resolved only because the USA authority insisted they must have EPA/DOT records somewhere in some file somewhere that never actually existed or a title never could have been issued upon entry. (head hits desk go bang)

Short story is anything can happen so expect the unexpected.

I shipped a BMW motorcycle to Munich as my personal vehicle.
I did not sell it there.

I spent two months with the customs guys who insisted I needed paperwork to prove the country of manufacture...

Just to review, it was a BMW motorcycle shipped to Munich (home of BMW).

I ended up getting the country manager from BMW to help me out...
Unreal.

rich
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd June 2024 - 10:32 PM