Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> AutoX, Goodyear vs Hoosier slicks
Randal
post Jul 19 2004, 10:14 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 750

Anyone used the new Goodyear 250 compound tires and also the Hoosier softer slicks and have an opinion?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
nine14cats
post Jul 20 2004, 12:03 PM
Post #2

Bill Pickering -- 914-6 GT aka....Leeloo

Group: Members
Member No.: 287
Region Association: None

Hi Randal,

I've used all of the above slicks over the past 1.5 years. Here is my take:

Auto-X
---------
Goodyear R210's were nice and soft. When I couldn't get those anymore, I tried R270's and didn't like them....no bite compared to the R210's. The new compound R250's are much better for auto-x than R270's.

An added benefit is that the Goodyear canti's have a very stiff sidewall, much stiffer than the Hoosiers. Turn in response is excellent.

On the big tracks, I run R430's due to the heating for increased longevity.

Hoosiers
-----------

I have used the R45 compound canti for Auto-x and the R60 compound for the big tracks. As I said earlier the Hoosiers have a softer sidewall and for auto-x do not turn in as fast, but you compensate and it isn't too noticeable. The R45 sticks very well, somewhere between a Goodyear R250 and the R430/R60 compounds.

On the big tracks I am consistently 1.5 seconds faster per lap on a 3 mile course running new Hoosiers versus new Goodyears. My charting indicates that I get between 10-12 heat cycles out of Hoosiers before they fall off significantly versus 8-10 cycles for Goodyears.

Basically they are close. I actually for some reason prefer the Hoosiers on the big tracks.

However, the Hoosiers are a pain as they lose quite a bit of air over the day and especially overnight. They will go flat overnight at an event. The Goodyears always stay inflated. Go figure....

Hope this helps.

Bill P.

Hoosiers
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd June 2024 - 02:11 AM