Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Piston Kleen, Removing carbon from pistons
dknechtly
post Nov 20 2013, 07:51 AM
Post #1

Yellow 914

Group: Members
Member No.: 560
Region Association: None

I have my engine pulled apart for a rebuild. As expected the pistons were carboned up and I dreaded the chore of cleaning. I found this stuff called "Piston Kleen" and let them soak a couple of days. It took the carbon all off! Outside, underside, ring grooves. Some places I just wiped off a little bit. It did a great job. Saved a lot of work and potential piston damage. I just wanted to pass along the good info.
I couldn't find it retail anywhere. Just ordered from the web site. Free and fast shipping.

http://www.orisonmarketing.com/pistonkleen.html

Edited: I have plain old 1.7 original pistons. When I was researching this, I did see some of the cleaners harmed aluminum. This does not. Just gives you nice, clean, unscratched or scraped pistons.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
Matt Romanowski
post Nov 20 2013, 11:40 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 1,507

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Nov 20 2013, 09:34 AM) *

I believe it was an early form of alusil, like in many Porsche engines. These still use a aluminium piston but it has iron impregnated into the surface.

The bore is what is impregnated with silicon, the pistons are bare. You can moly coat or DLC the pistons, but that is not what Porsche has done. They do nikasil on the bores.
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Nov 20 2013, 11:50 AM
Post #3

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

QUOTE(Matt Romanowski @ Nov 20 2013, 12:40 PM) *

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Nov 20 2013, 09:34 AM) *

I believe it was an early form of alusil, like in many Porsche engines. These still use a aluminium piston but it has iron impregnated into the surface.

The bore is what is impregnated with silicon, the pistons are bare. You can moly coat or DLC the pistons, but that is not what Porsche has done. They do nikasil on the bores.

No.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

Nikasil pistons are bare, alusil pistons have a coating, "iron coating" is probably a bad technical term, but is one a layman would understand.

Pistons, Rings and Coatings
Years ago, GM used a hypereutectic alloy in their Vega four cylinder engine. That engine had its own problems but rebuilders were left in the dark as to how rebuilding should take place. Given the relatively high tech nature of materials and machining vital to restoring wear surfaces in these cylinders, rebuilders experienced failures when employing tried and true methods used for cast iron blocks. Even when correct surface generation processes were employed, failures continued. The fix then was to sleeve with cast iron liners and install standard aluminum pistons and garden variety cast rings.
So what was missing in this exercise? What eventually became clear was that piston skirts had to be coated and ring faces should be barrel shaped if Alusil cylinder bores are to be retained as a wear surface. When this news finally hit the rebuilding industry, rebuilders already had a workable fix by sleeving with cast iron liners. But that fix is not always possible with modern engines using Alusil as a sliding seal or wear surface.
Early in the process, piston coating for use in aluminum cylinder bores became know as “tining”. As it turns out, “tining” piston skirts was indeed a thin layer of plated tin used as a wear or scuff barrier between aluminum pistons and aluminum cylinders. “Tining” then became a euphemism for several piston coatings that acted as wear barriers. Some manufacturers used a variety of coatings that included nickel–tungsten (Ni–W) plating, electroless Ni plating, Ni–P coatings with ceramic particles such as boron nitride (BN), SiC, or Si3N4, as well as titanium nitride physical vapor deposition (PVD) coating, diamond-like carbon (DLC) coating, spray cast iron and hard anodizing. Not all of these coatings proved reliable against scuffing Alusil cylinder bores and were eventually replaced by more robust piston coatings we see in use today.1
Due to the abrasive nature of Alusil and the affinity aluminum has to itself; this coated barrier greatly reduces seizure of component parts. A stock aluminum piston would simply not survive even in a well prepared Alusil cylinder bore. Further, barrel shaped ring faces were used to glide across correctly honed and etched silicon particles without dislodging them. Beveled ring faces utilize a scraping action which may be detrimental to an Alusil wear surface. Exercise caution when selecting a suitable ring pack for use in Alusil bores.
Further, many different ring materials are used for Nikasil® and Alusil but some of the better ones are Gas Nitrided, Ion Nitrided or titanium coated tool steel. There appears to be some consensus that using a barrel shaped ring for either Nikasil® or Alusil cylinder bores works best. However, always go with the coating or cylinder alloy manufacturer’s recommendation for a suitable ring pack.
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
dknechtly   Piston Kleen   Nov 20 2013, 07:51 AM
r_towle   what does it do to the aluminum?   Nov 20 2013, 08:06 AM
ThePaintedMan   what does it do to the aluminum? You have alumi...   Nov 20 2013, 09:02 AM
JStroud   what does it do to the aluminum? You have alum...   Nov 20 2013, 09:26 AM
r_towle   what does it do to the aluminum? You have alum...   Nov 20 2013, 01:11 PM
ThePaintedMan   and what magic set of pistons do you have? I beli...   Nov 20 2013, 01:21 PM
r_towle   [quote name='r_towle' post='1959703' date='Nov 20...   Nov 20 2013, 02:03 PM
Matt Romanowski   I have aluminum pistons. Probably in every car I o...   Nov 20 2013, 10:31 AM
r_towle   I have aluminum pistons. Probably in every car I ...   Nov 20 2013, 01:12 PM
ThePaintedMan   Well I'll be damned. :worship: Sorry.   Nov 20 2013, 10:42 AM
walterolin   The ill fated Chevrolet Vega had a 4 cyl aluminum ...   Nov 20 2013, 10:56 AM
Mark Henry   The ill fated Chevrolet Vega had a 4 cyl aluminum...   Nov 20 2013, 11:34 AM
Matt Romanowski   I believe it was an early form of alusil, like in...   Nov 20 2013, 11:40 AM
Mark Henry   I believe it was an early form of alusil, like i...   Nov 20 2013, 11:50 AM
Matt Romanowski   [quote name='Matt Romanowski' post='1959665' date...   Nov 20 2013, 01:24 PM
Rand   You, of all people, I would figure would know the...   Nov 20 2013, 02:07 PM
DBCooper   Interesting. I grew up with farm equipment, some o...   Nov 20 2013, 02:46 PM
ThePaintedMan   Interesting. I grew up with farm equipment, some ...   Nov 20 2013, 03:59 PM
r_towle   Interesting. I grew up with farm equipment, some...   Nov 20 2013, 04:19 PM
ThePaintedMan   Nope, aluminum pistons, steel rings and steel sl...   Nov 20 2013, 06:22 PM
codices   Had an old Chevrolet (1939) with the "Blue Fl...   Nov 20 2013, 04:08 PM
David_S   There used to be an old-timer around here that tol...   Nov 20 2013, 06:30 PM
DBCooper   I think you need to check those engines. I'm ...   Nov 21 2013, 07:25 AM
StratPlayer   I've that piston kleen on a set of 94mm piston...   Nov 21 2013, 09:00 PM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 9th June 2024 - 10:01 AM