Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Fog light operation, With or without?
boxsterfan
post Dec 6 2013, 06:24 PM
Post #1

914's are kewl

Group: Members
Member No.: 791
Region Association: Northern California

Are the fog lights supposed to work independent of the headlights?

Mine never come on unless the headlights are on.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
Mike Bellis
post Dec 6 2013, 08:53 PM
Post #2

Resident Electrician

Member No.: 10,496
Region Association: None

The fog light relay gets it's power leg from the headlight switch and it's ground leg from the high beam fuse. When the low beams are on, the relay has power from the switch and the ground through the high beam filament. When the high beams are on, the ground turns positive and the fog relay shuts off.

This is an easy and free rewire without the purchase of an external device.
If you pull the white/blue wire off the high beam fuse and ground it, the fogs will work if any headlamp is lit. If you take the black/blue wire from the fog switch and apply power, the fog lights will work anytime (if you did the previous mod)

NOTE: there are 2 white blue wires on one terminal at the high beam fuse. one goes to the fog relay and one goes to the indicator lamp in the dash. Only disconnect the one to the fog relay and ground it. If you ground both the dash indicator for high beam will not work.

Easy! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
euro911
post Dec 7 2013, 12:27 AM
Post #3

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Member No.: 7,300
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Dec 6 2013, 07:53 PM) *
NOTE: there are 2 white blue wires on one terminal at the high beam fuse. one goes to the fog relay and one goes to the indicator lamp in the dash. Only disconnect the one to the fog relay and ground it. If you ground both the dash indicator for high beam will not work.

Huh? I haven't looked at the schematic, but wouldn't grounding a hot lead short the circuit? I'm not getting it, Mike (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
jcd914
post Dec 7 2013, 01:01 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,684
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(euro911 @ Dec 6 2013, 10:27 PM) *

QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Dec 6 2013, 07:53 PM) *

Huh? I haven't looked at the schematic, but wouldn't grounding a hot lead short the circuit? I'm not getting it, Mike (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Mike is describing disconnecting the ground wire for the fog light relay from the high beam fuse and then taking that the ground wire for the fog light relay connecting it to a ground.

Of course the reason the factory wired the ground for the fog light relay to the high beam circuit was so you could not have the fog lights on when the high beams were on.
Back then they thought people would only want to use fog lights in the fog and high beams and fog don't work together very well. The fog reflects so much light back at you that the high beams make it harder to see. By making the fog lights only work with low beam, in the fog people would use low beams and fog lights together and be able to see better that high beams and fog lights.
Now days it seems every car that has fog lights have them on all the time, fog or no fog, high beams or low beams, day light or not. Does not seem to matter, if they have a light on the front of their car the have it turned on.

How ever you chose to wire your fog lights use them responsibly, make sure the are aimed properly and not blinding on coming traffic.

Jim

User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
euro911
post Dec 7 2013, 01:43 AM
Post #5

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Member No.: 7,300
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(jcd914 @ Dec 7 2013, 12:01 AM) *
(1) Mike is describing disconnecting the ground wire for the fog light relay from the high beam fuse and then taking that the ground wire for the fog light relay connecting it to a ground.

(2) How ever you chose to wire your fog lights use them responsibly, make sure the are aimed properly and not blinding on coming traffic.

Jim
(1) OK, makes sense now.

(2) I agree. Seems like maybe eye doctors own stock in the companies that manufacture the new technology headlights ... do we really need to see 1500 ft in front of us at the sake of blinding everybody else coming the other way? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/screwy.gif)
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
boxsterfan   Fog light operation   Dec 6 2013, 06:24 PM
michael7810   Mine come on with the parking lights or low beams.   Dec 6 2013, 06:31 PM
Bob L.   I don't have them in my car but I have seen ...   Dec 6 2013, 07:17 PM
rmdinmd   the tech manual I have says they work with the lig...   Dec 6 2013, 07:26 PM
toolguy   As wired by the factory, they can only be energize...   Dec 6 2013, 07:28 PM
Cap'n Krusty   As wired by the factory, they can only be energiz...   Dec 7 2013, 12:49 AM
old dog   As wired by the factory, they can only be energi...   Dec 7 2013, 09:13 AM
1970 Neun vierzehn   The low beam only operation is a DOT regulation...   Dec 7 2013, 08:59 PM
JawjaPorsche   J West Engineering has a unit to solve the problem...   Dec 6 2013, 08:01 PM
Kirmizi   J West Engineering has a unit to solve the proble...   Dec 6 2013, 08:05 PM
ChrisNPDrider   :agree: W/o the aftermarket part or DIY wiring fi...   Dec 6 2013, 08:13 PM
Mike Bellis   The fog light relay gets it's power leg from t...   Dec 6 2013, 08:53 PM
euro911   NOTE: there are 2 white blue wires on one terminal...   Dec 7 2013, 12:27 AM
Mike Bellis   [quote name='Mike Bellis' post='1967216' date='De...   Dec 7 2013, 12:58 AM
jcd914   [quote name='Mike Bellis' post='1967216' date='De...   Dec 7 2013, 01:01 AM
euro911   (1) Mike is describing disconnecting the ground wi...   Dec 7 2013, 01:43 AM
Mark Henry   The fog light relay gets it's power leg from ...   Dec 8 2013, 11:36 AM
Porschef   I added the Jwest kit (very easy to install btw) m...   Dec 7 2013, 07:16 AM
Scarlet75   I added the Jwest kit (very easy to install btw) ...   Dec 7 2013, 07:45 AM
Cairo94507   I think being able to use the fog lights as daytim...   Dec 7 2013, 08:40 AM
Ian Stott   I did the J west upgrade a few years ago and swapp...   Dec 8 2013, 09:02 AM
The Cabinetmaker   For you guys using pilot lights for headlights: Pl...   Dec 8 2013, 09:13 AM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st June 2024 - 12:13 AM