Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> trailing arm washer, does anyone repro these.? it is a rubber washer
DRPHIL914
post Jan 4 2014, 09:57 PM
Post #1

Dr. Phil

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,106
Region Association: South East States

Its the washer on the end of the pivot shaft that would go between it and the suspension ear
Its #8 in this diagram

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
bdstone914
post Jan 4 2014, 10:07 PM
Post #2

bdstone914

Member No.: 1,319

QUOTE(Philip W. @ Jan 4 2014, 09:57 PM) *

Its the washer on the end of the pivot shaft that would go between it and the suspension ear
Its #8 in this diagram

Even though it is shown in PET I have never seen one and have removed many trailing arms. There is really no room for a washer on the end of the pivot shaft. The end of the nut is nearly flush with the end of the shaft.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Jan 4 2014, 10:15 PM
Post #3

Dr. Phil

Member No.: 11,106

QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Jan 4 2014, 11:07 PM) *

QUOTE(Philip W. @ Jan 4 2014, 09:57 PM) *

Its #8 in this diagram

Even though it is shown in PET I have never seen one and have removed many trailing arms. There is really no room for a washer on the end of the pivot shaft. The end of the nut is nearly flush with the end of the shaft.

Well I just removed mine today-there is a rubber washer the size of the trailing arm surface at the end of the trailing arm. The original one is in pretty tuff shape. I am sure this arm has never been off this car by the looks of the condition of the under coat that is on the nuts bolts and other parts.

Also without this the arm surface would be hard against the suspension ear rubbing metal on metal as the arm pivots with the suspension movement.
+Quote Post
ThePaintedMan
post Jan 5 2014, 05:47 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,527

QUOTE(Philip W. @ Jan 4 2014, 11:15 PM) *

Also without this the arm surface would be hard against the suspension ear rubbing metal on metal as the arm pivots with the suspension movement.

Philip, (this isn't meant to sound like I'm know-it-all) that's actually not how the stock trailing arm setup works. The pivot shaft is butted directly up to the suspension ear and does not rotate. Though the arm itself rotates, the rubber bushing (if it's still intact) is actually sandwiched between the arm and the suspension console ear. The rubber is stationary and simply flexes with the travel of the arm up and down.

Like Bruce, I've never seen a washer on a stock car. I do know that the polybronze rear trailing arm setup does require a washer inboard of the suspension ear. On TC's yellow banana car it's obvious that the washer is required to allow the nut to bottom out. But their design is completely different.
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd June 2024 - 01:12 PM