Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Sebring transmission, What gears for me?
Jetsetsurfshop
post Jan 18 2014, 07:21 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,907
Region Association: South East States

Ok Guys, what do you think....
Want to get a racing tranny for my track car with Sebring in mind. What's the best set-up? Is a LSD a good idea? Quaife? How about a cooler? What's an intermediate plate?
Thanks for the all the help, I'm really green with trannys. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
brant
post Jan 21 2014, 06:01 PM
Post #2

914 Wizard

Group: Members
Member No.: 47
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Shane,

I didn't do a good job at providing you an answer
like everyone replied, there are lots of ways to do what you are after
and also diminishing returns at some point..

there is perfect, optimum, expensive

and option #2, less expensive, not perfect and better than stock

picking out gears often becomes a compromise
for example the chart might show that a "W" gear would be perfect, but that is an $800 gear and you can often get away with a different ratio that is not quite as good, but only $100

so for my first race trans, I think I was similar to you and trying to learn about transmissions/gearing without breaking the bank

take your longest track or most frequent track.. it sounds like sebring is already the track you've picked. gear for red line at sebring in 5th

I'm guessing that sebring may be your longest track also?

then depending on your current motor state of wear.. you may want to pick ratio's for your current motor redline and power, or for your not yet built.... next motor redline and hp.

usually the 4cylinder has a much lower redline than a 6, which gives you cheaper gear selection usually.

also you can probably get away with only changing the top 3 gears that you mostly use on the track.. that can save you a few dimes too. you can pick 2nd gear also but there are only 3 ways to do it... stock, GA not too bad, and 904= very expensive
So if stock F will work great.. and if not try to see if a GA 2nd will be acceptable for your needs?

you need to pick your 5th gear first and then plan the lower ratio's from there
Ideally the rpm drop between gears will get lower as you shift up... as the torque of the next gear is reduced due to higher speed and wind resistance you want the rpm drops to tighten

so off the top of my head,... my 4th to 5th gear rpm drop is currently only 900rpm
but my 3rd to 4th is slightly more... maybe 1200rpm (I can't remember)

the 4cylinder redline makes this less touchy than a high rpm of a -6. The pro's dyno each motor and pick gears using a dyno result... We aren't pro's so pick redline in 5th and go from there.

once you pick your 5th gear optimum.. then see if there is an affordable alternative and keep doing the same for 4th and 3rd.

I don't know sebring, but people commonly use M-S-X for 4cylinders with close to stock redlines... and a cheap version of MSX is Ka-S-X

my first race box was Ka-S-X with a locked diff, no cooler.

of course differentials, and cooling are more money and a whole-nother topic
and add a lot of money to the basic race transmission
you can likely get away with out them unless you want to spend that much money all at once. differentials add heat... (a locked diff wears out your tires but does not add heat)

brant
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
Jetsetsurfshop   Sebring transmission   Jan 18 2014, 07:21 PM
carr914   You want Tall Gears for Sebring. My 2.5 TP had a 9...   Jan 18 2014, 07:45 PM
Matt Romanowski   To choose gearing, we would need to know your moto...   Jan 18 2014, 08:35 PM
brant   What redline. I'm not sure a cooler is needed...   Jan 18 2014, 11:15 PM
wndsrfr   Ok Guys, what do you think.... Want to get a raci...   Jan 19 2014, 08:58 AM
Jetsetsurfshop   Thanks guys- I don't mind the current set-up a...   Jan 19 2014, 12:34 PM
carr914   Why would you want 5th to Redline? You don't h...   Jan 19 2014, 01:58 PM
Jetsetsurfshop   Why would you want 5th to Redline? You don't ...   Jan 19 2014, 02:49 PM
Matt Romanowski   You want to be hitting redline in top gear at the ...   Jan 19 2014, 03:32 PM
carr914   Yeah, til you get to the next Track & don...   Jan 19 2014, 05:09 PM
brant   Yeah, til you get to the next Track & don...   Jan 19 2014, 05:45 PM
carr914   You want to be hitting redline in top gear at the...   Jan 19 2014, 07:05 PM
stownsen914   You want to be hitting redline in top gear at th...   Jan 20 2014, 07:50 AM
brant   Shane, I didn't do a good job at providing y...   Jan 21 2014, 06:01 PM
Jetsetsurfshop   Heres some pictures of my extra transmission. The ...   Jan 22 2014, 09:44 AM
Jetsetsurfshop   :WTF:   Jan 22 2014, 09:45 AM
ThePaintedMan   That, my friend is a tailshifter, which came on th...   Jan 22 2014, 10:04 AM
carr914   A tailshifter can be converted to side-shift, bu...   Jan 22 2014, 01:25 PM
stownsen914   To comment on the option that Brant mentioned to u...   Jan 23 2014, 01:13 PM
brant   To comment on the option that Brant mentioned to ...   Jan 23 2014, 01:19 PM
stownsen914   however interestingly enough we have a local tale...   Jan 24 2014, 08:29 AM
brant   versus an open diff... 120hp 2.0/4   Jan 24 2014, 08:56 AM
r_towle   Carquip used to have a post with all the factory g...   Jan 25 2014, 09:29 AM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th May 2024 - 08:52 PM