Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> My rusted longs, experts chime in..., rusted longs
mramber
post Mar 9 2014, 12:39 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,768
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Hey all, I'm one year into owning my 73. I knew it had some rust, but I spent my first summer of ownership in denial so that I could focus on enjoying driving the car. Now that spring is approaching, I decided to go in and see just how bad things are. My first question is that my car doesn't have jack points, I assume that the po removed them. Second is the recommended repair approach. Both longs are solid from the rear until they get to the jack point area, then they are solid again up to the front. The passenger side also has rust at the very front. I'm thinking I can clean things up and weld in the Brad Mayeur kit. Thoughts? Comments?

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
914ltd
post Mar 9 2014, 08:47 PM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 581
Region Association: None

My chassis repair panel set is not a Band-Aid. I have been installing and selling these since 1978. They are made of 11 gauge steel, tie into the outer suspension consol and provide a strong, permanent, (as steel can be) and economical repair to rust damaged longitudinals. Anyone who has replaced the outer longitudinals and lower wheel house on a 914 knows this is a labor intensive project and, as with my panels, all the adjoining panels need good, solid metal to attach to in order to restore the structural integrity. The big difference is my panels take far less time to install, cost less and, if properly installed, are stronger than the conventional repair. Something else to consider, in the future if someone wanted to do a “proper” repair, just cut the welds and remove these panels but, you will still need to deal with properly installing the reproduction lower wheelhouse, this is a patch panel, only a 1/3 the size of the original unit. I would guess today, most 914’s that need this extent of repair are probably worth less than the cost of such repair. I am not selling this system as a concourse repair but it is a reasonable and, with more than 300 sets installed, proven way to get your 914 back on the road. I know of no one who has these panels that are unhappy with the results and I’m absolutely positive this is the best solution for most 914’s that need this type of repair. Brad Mayeur, 914 Limited. 42 years as a 914 enthusiast and repair professional.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 4th June 2024 - 04:02 PM