Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Pertronix Ignitor II and Flame Thrower Coil
Alfieg23
post Mar 14 2014, 10:29 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 16,854
Region Association: South East States

I just completed installing the Ignitor II and Flame Thrower coil. When I went to start the car, the engine cranks but does not start. I had already installed new plugs, wires, distributor cap and rotor. What should I do to troubleshoot the problem? Thanks.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
stugray
post Mar 16 2014, 12:54 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,819
Region Association: None

At first I was thinking that you could not hurt the unit by hooking it up wrong.

However... If you hook the - (black) to Coil + (Ign) and + (Red) to Coil -.

Then if you crank the engine, the module will be shorting IGN straight to GND without the ~3 Ohm coil in line.

I would think the unit would be designed to handle that at least a few times, but (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

I bet its something really simple after you changed so many things at once.

Did the rotor fit all the way down onto the dist shaft so that the notch engages?

That is why luskesq mentioned above that the disk with the magnets must be pressed down very firmly to get it over the dist shaft all the way.
+Quote Post
Alfieg23
post Mar 16 2014, 10:31 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 16,854
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(stugray @ Mar 16 2014, 02:54 AM) *

At first I was thinking that you could not hurt the unit by hooking it up wrong.

However... If you hook the - (black) to Coil + (Ign) and + (Red) to Coil -.

Then if you crank the engine, the module will be shorting IGN straight to GND without the ~3 Ohm coil in line.

I would think the unit would be designed to handle that at least a few times, but (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

I bet its something really simple after you changed so many things at once.

Did the rotor fit all the way down onto the dist shaft so that the notch engages?

That is why luskesq mentioned above that the disk with the magnets must be pressed down very firmly to get it over the dist shaft all the way.

The Ignitor II module I received is part # 91847V, which is for vacuum advance distributors. My Bosch 009 is mechanical and should be using part # 91847A. Can this be the cause for no spark and/or the engine not starting? Thanks again for your help!
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th June 2024 - 01:52 PM