Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> 914 flywheel noise?
Socal70
post Aug 4 2014, 04:51 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,731
Region Association: None

So I just pulled my transmission out of my 70 (side shifter with a 1.8), I replaced my flywheel due to work teeth, got the car back together and the car sounded great for 5 minutes and then developed a light grinding noise. It's coming from the transmission area and most noticeable when it's idling. Anyone had similar issues?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
Cap'n Krusty
post Aug 6 2014, 10:56 AM
Post #2

Cap'n Krusty

Member No.: 2,246
Region Association: Central California

I thought the conversation was moving in the right direction, so I simply made a quick mechanical point. Here we go with a more complete answer. No, you don't really need to set the end play after changing the flywheel, unless it's a knockoff. The crank and case are the primary determining factor, and the OE flywheels are pretty much right on the money. You should, however, ALWAYS check it. The noise described in the OP isn't likely to be a result of improper end play. Onward: While the release bearing can make noise, that noise is most common when the clutch pedal is depressed and the bearing is under load. If the ball cup in the release arm has become badly worn, or if the flywheel has been cut too far, the arm can touch the clutch cover and a grinding noise occurs. If the pilot bearing fails, significant noise will occur when the clutch pedal is depressed. It will rapidly deteriorate and shifting will become difficult as the mainshaft will be pretty much connected to the crankshaft. If the starter "hangs up", there could be more than one cause, and it'll both make noise and remove teeth from the ring gear. Starters get old, dry, and non functional in several ways. It works, so we know the bendix shoots out and turns the flywheel. However, it may not fully retract in a timely manner. Bad spring? Dry shaft? Can't tell, maybe even with the starter out of the car. Another cause may be a faulty ignition switch or feedback into the "50" circuit. Often the hangup will remain even when the engine is revved, but the noise of the engine drowns out the sound. This usually leads to a blown up starter. I've even seen the starter body shatter.

If the o-ring in the flywheel fails or is deleted, you're gonna have an oil leak, which will quickly coat the clutch disc, the flywheel, and the pressure plate with oil, but there'll be no noise connected with that problem.

There you are.

The Cap'n
+Quote Post
rjames
post Aug 6 2014, 10:59 PM
Post #3

I'm made of metal

Member No.: 4,467
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Aug 6 2014, 09:56 AM) *

I thought the conversation was moving in the right direction, so I simply made a quick mechanical point. Here we go with a more complete answer. No, you don't really need to set the end play after changing the flywheel, unless it's a knockoff. The crank and case are the primary determining factor, and the OE flywheels are pretty much right on the money. You should, however, ALWAYS check it. The noise described in the OP isn't likely to be a result of improper end play. Onward: While the release bearing can make noise, that noise is most common when the clutch pedal is depressed and the bearing is under load. If the ball cup in the release arm has become badly worn, or if the flywheel has been cut too far, the arm can touch the clutch cover and a grinding noise occurs. If the pilot bearing fails, significant noise will occur when the clutch pedal is depressed. It will rapidly deteriorate and shifting will become difficult as the mainshaft will be pretty much connected to the crankshaft. If the starter "hangs up", there could be more than one cause, and it'll both make noise and remove teeth from the ring gear. Starters get old, dry, and non functional in several ways. It works, so we know the bendix shoots out and turns the flywheel. However, it may not fully retract in a timely manner. Bad spring? Dry shaft? Can't tell, maybe even with the starter out of the car. Another cause may be a faulty ignition switch or feedback into the "50" circuit. Often the hangup will remain even when the engine is revved, but the noise of the engine drowns out the sound. This usually leads to a blown up starter. I've even seen the starter body shatter.

If the o-ring in the flywheel fails or is deleted, you're gonna have an oil leak, which will quickly coat the clutch disc, the flywheel, and the pressure plate with oil, but there'll be no noise connected with that problem.

There you are.

The Cap'n

Meh. I much prefer the Good Captain when he's krusty.
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 8th June 2024 - 04:10 AM