Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Battery Connection Help
AvalonFal
post Aug 19 2014, 03:21 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,367
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I've been having problems with the battery draining over a couple of days of non-use, so I'm intending to replace the PO's battery cables (a few splices in the current ones) and go from there. PO relocated battery to the rear trunk & that's OK. However, I came across this situation:

- Engine off, key out.
- (+) battery cable disconnected at battery
- (-) battery cable still connected

I measured across the disconnected (+) cable to the connected (-) cable & got a voltage of around .6 - .75 volts. Is this normal to have voltage across a disconnected (+) cable??

Car starts fine when battery is charged, but, as I said, battery loses juice after being idle for a couple of days.

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
Tom
post Aug 23 2014, 12:39 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,626
Region Association: None

There is a very much easier way to make a shunt.
Use a 6" piece of #12 copper ground wire from a piece of old house wiring. Hook it to two thin bolts and connect a couple of 12" 12 gage wires to the bolts. Put alligator clips on the other ends. Now hook up a known current draw in series with the "shunt you just made. Hook the source to the battery in-line with the shunt. Measure the voltage drop across the shunt only at the two bolts. this is the voltage drop across that shunt for a known current draw. Now hook your shunt in-line with any other current draw and use a formula to figure out the current draw.
New voltage drop divided by the known voltage drop, times the known current draw, = the new current draw.
Tom
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th June 2024 - 04:36 PM