Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> 915 in place of a 901 gearbox, What is required to install a 915 gearbox
Tomcelica2
post Feb 18 2015, 02:48 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,962
Region Association: None

Hi Guys:

I wondered if you can help me as I am upgrading to a 915 gearbox from the 901. I know the hubs have to be changed, but I do not know which axles are required.

Could someone tell me if the 911 100mm axles and CV joints fit or do they have to be modified in some way such as with spacers.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Rob
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
naro914
post Feb 18 2015, 08:43 PM
Post #2

Losing my mind...

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,073
Region Association: South East States

This thread is funny in that I was planning to start one describing my current (as in the past couple weeks) saga of swapping out our 901 with a 915 that already had a Vellios installed:

So...here's what you need:
- transmission with either Wevo, Vellios or the Martin Bott 916 kit and flipped ring and pinion
- new clutch and pressure plate. You MAY be able to use your flywheel depending on what you have. We could use ours but the clutch system is different now: the ring gear on a 901 is on the flywheel, and its on the pp for a 915.
- depending on the year of the trans, the connection of the clutch cable to the arm in the trans MAY be different than a 901. Mine wasn't different (early trans). Patrick Motorsports sells a nice adapter kit.
- New shifter, one that has a normal 911 shift pattern and reverse on the right instead of left - I chose the Rennshift 911/915 version...very nice.
- the rod in the tunnel needs to be changed*
- there is now a little guide bracket that needs to be installed under the shifter to guide the tunnel shift rod.**
- the 911 'cup' under the shifter is needed instead of the clamp that tightens on the shift rod spline. The 911 shifters have a ball, not the clamp at the bottom.
- the CV's on your axles MAY need to be changed. Mine didn't because I already had bigger ones, but the CV 'hats' need to be changed to 6 bolt instead of 4.
- I chose to go with Tangerine Racing's rear upgraded shift rod kit, which required a little modifying done on the Vellios shift console.

* Chris Foley at Tangerine Racing made me a cool little a adapter 'rod' that allows you to use the tunnel rod you have, just flip it around and use his adapter. This allows for length adjustment on that rod... Ask him...I'm still a bit in awe of what he made.

** However...if you use this method, you need an unobtanium adapter bushing for the shift rod guide bracket. The bushing is the same one that you use for the firewall when you convert a tail shift car to side shift. The tail shift tunnel rod (and a 911 tunnel rod) are thicker than a 901 side shift. This little shift rod guide bracket has a bushing for the 911 rod..meaning your 901 side shift rod is too small for the guide. the unobtanium bushing is the right OD, but has a smaller ID making the 901 rod fit perfect. I say unobtanium because...nobody has it anymore. AA doesn't...said it was made by Automotion, who doesn't have it anymore. We decided to weld a sleeve on the rod to make it fit the stock 911 sized bushing.

Clear as mud??

I THINK I got it all.

Oh...and you need a week or more to figure out that you don't have everything, fit it all together, curse a lot...and hope it all works next time you go on the track...

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Good luck!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st June 2024 - 01:09 PM