Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> 2.0 rebuild
80cap
post Apr 22 2015, 04:01 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,405
Region Association: None

Here goes.
I am a new guy here and I don't want to cause a feud but I am trying to build a street able engine without breaking the bank. Some of the confusion follows, AA good or no good, 96mm, or 94mm, rebuild heads or new, Web cam specs for Dellorto, ( I have ),I know you get what you pay for but I also have a budget. I just purchased Jake Raby's how to video. I have read all the bad post so maybe I just looking for insight. Maybe this post will centralize some data.
Thanks Brian
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
eyesright
post Apr 23 2015, 09:16 AM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,979
Region Association: Southwest Region

I rebuilt my stock 2.0 on a bench in the garage. I have an engine stand which works without the VW/Porsche mount but the mount is easier to set up. Even so, I did mine on the bench without the stand.

Jake's video is about all you need for the teardown and reassembly, but I also had Wilson's book and the Haynes manual and used both. Jake is building a bus engine so remember to install your oil baffle. (Busses don't have one since they can't turn corners faster than 20 mph....or was that 15mph....) Don't worry, you'll see it on tear down.

If your P&C's are not damaged check to see if they are still usuable with cleaning and new rings. That's where Wilson and Haynes will tell you what you need to know, and it will be the least expense. My pistons were dished/low compression and I wanted flat top for a little more compression. I used AA cylinder assemblies. Pistons were all within 0.1 oz. One cylinder was .0025 high compared to the other three and I had it cut down to match the others. I should have measured bores and ring gaps, and cylinder clearance but I trusted the 914gods that all would turn out good enough for a first rebuild. A machine shop could have checked all that for a minimal charge. If they are out of spec you just machine them or exchange for another and measure it...Or spend the bucks on KB's ...

HAM checked my heads and they were good enough for him to rebuild. He also decked the case which was critical for the heads to do their job...

And I bought a Raby 9550 cam kit, found some 1.7 rocker arms and some 911 adjusters and put things back together using the 2nd half of Jake's video. I had the case together and looked down in my parts box and noticed the oil baffle...D'OH!...so took it apart again,...then never quite understood getting the rods all right side up...so when I finally figured it out, that was another episode of taking the case apart again. And preparing the rocker arms and pushrods was a chore but I figured it out and got it done.

So things were apart for a couple of months, but now I have an engine with plenty of power and torque...enough for me anyway...that does 75mph all day @ 35 mpg for 30k miles so far. Every time I park it I get a couple of drops of oil so I have some cardboard under it in the garage and I will add almost 3 qts in 5k miles. Burning vs. leaking? Not sure. I'll have to figure out how I could have done better on the next one.

It was fun for me but and I bet you can do it too. But I think every one of us lay people will advise you to undertake it yourself only for self satisfaction and learning. It is a chore! Otherwise find an expert in your area or one of the vendors here to build it for you.

Good luck and post photos!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 7th June 2024 - 02:18 PM