Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> 2.0 rebuild
80cap
post Apr 22 2015, 04:01 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,405
Region Association: None

Here goes.
I am a new guy here and I don't want to cause a feud but I am trying to build a street able engine without breaking the bank. Some of the confusion follows, AA good or no good, 96mm, or 94mm, rebuild heads or new, Web cam specs for Dellorto, ( I have ),I know you get what you pay for but I also have a budget. I just purchased Jake Raby's how to video. I have read all the bad post so maybe I just looking for insight. Maybe this post will centralize some data.
Thanks Brian
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
MichaelB
post Apr 24 2015, 05:35 PM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 14,598
Region Association: None

I did this last winter. I got a 9590 kit from Jake Raby before he sold off the Type 4 Store. I used AA 96mm pistons and rebuilt 2.0 heads. The video is great but leaves out a lot of steps (mainly measuring). I remember reading a post from JR saying he had to cut a lot of the stuff due to time constraints in the video.

I would say my biggest challenge as a first timer was remembering to measure everything. Starting with the case: does it need to be lined bored? Cylinder decks flat? Check clearance on every bearing. Get compression set right based on your build, get the valve train geometry right. Read Wilson and watch the video repeatedly. Read Jake's valve train geometry article series 10 times. Set the crank end float right, make the right choice for oil pump (whatever that is for you), then get ready to learn the fine art of MPS adjusting if you keep the FI, which I recommend.

The reason many of the excellent engine builders charge $$$ is for the attention to detail and design of the build.

Now, having said all that, I managed to successfully assemble a 2056 that runs well and I love. I enjoyed the process, but had to take things back apart a few times (main bearing not quite set on the pin, etc).

Be patient, read the outstanding posts on these boards. I bought AA cylinders and pistons and verified measurements and they seem fine. If you're not up for that kind of a journey, then paying a reputable builder is well worth the money.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 7th June 2024 - 05:07 PM