Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Garage Do's, what I did for mine
76-914
post Aug 18 2015, 08:03 PM
Post #1

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

With record breaking temps moving in this weekend I decided to insulate my garage door. It is westward facing and gets hot as Hell in the PM when the sun hits it. I used some 1" Styrofoam board. By 1:30 the garage door panel outside temp was 137 and the inside temp was 82. I showed my wife 15 mins later but the inside temp was now reading 100F. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif) So I measured the outside temp again and it was now at 157F. Looks like I realized appx 50F drop. I may add another 1" later on. Once the radiant heat was reduced at the panels I could feel the small exposed area of our roof radiating heat so I installed some radiant barrier material on the inside of the roof. Now I can work in the garage with a bit more comfort.
What have you done for your garage lately?

Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
matthepcat
post Aug 19 2015, 01:04 AM
Post #2

Meat Popsicle

Member No.: 11,125
Region Association: Northern California

I need to do this. My garage is an oven. No insulation on the roof or door.

I googled this article about door insulation. According to this article you need to create an air gap for the radiant shield to be effective.

http://m.instructables.com/id/3-Steps-Most...arage/?ALLSTEPS
+Quote Post
warpig
post Aug 19 2015, 04:10 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 12,002
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(matthepcat @ Aug 19 2015, 12:04 AM) *

I googled this article about door insulation. According to this article you need to create an air gap for the radiant shield to be effective.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) I grew up partly in the AZ desert and there is an old trick for keeping your adobe shack cool in the summer. Just hang a sunscreen from the eves of your roof in front of the wall that faces the sun and keep a foot or two of space between the sunscreen and the wall. Kind of like if you set a piece of steel in the sun compared a piece in the shade and see the difference in temps after 15 mins. Now pretend that piece of steel is your garage door. Bamboo rollup shades work great and don't cost much at all. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)
+Quote Post
thieuster
post Aug 19 2015, 08:57 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 18,384
Region Association: Europe

QUOTE(warpig @ Aug 19 2015, 12:10 PM) *

QUOTE(matthepcat @ Aug 19 2015, 12:04 AM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) I grew up partly in the AZ desert and there is an old trick for keeping your adobe shack cool in the summer. Just hang a sunscreen from the eves of your roof in front of the wall that faces the sun and keep a foot or two of space between the sunscreen and the wall. Kind of like if you set a piece of steel in the sun compared a piece in the shade and see the difference in temps after 15 mins. Now pretend that piece of steel is your garage door. Bamboo rollup shades work great and don't cost much at all. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)

I noticed the same trick in Italy, Tuscany when I was on holiday last month! Historical buildings (and there are lots of them there...) don't always have an airco system. And this is an century old trick to keep the heat out, apparantly.

Menno
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st June 2024 - 03:47 AM