Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Factoru 914-6 fuel pump with low pressure, Has anyone taken one apart and fixed them.
toolguy
post Nov 21 2015, 08:49 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,889
Region Association: Southern California

I've got an original 6 with the factory fuel pump. . after sitting for 6 months, the pump runs but has low fuel pressure on the carb side. . Has great pressure on the tank return side. .no line obstructions. . . tested out of the car. . . won't lift fuel over level in the tank. . . anyone ever tried to adjust or repair one

Read down. . . Fixed !!!

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
McMark
post Nov 22 2015, 07:11 AM
Post #2

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419
Region Association: None

I was able to find the o-rings in fuel-safe Viton, and have been able to get into the pumps to replace them. But there are two MAJOR issues with resealing a pump.

1. The outer housing is crimped onto the motor. These crimps are very difficult to pry apart and even harder to reinstall. If I were to even have a hope of making a reseal job work, I would expect to make special tooling to release and make those crimps.

2. The small silver 'button' on the side is the internal pressure relief. That cover is also crimped on, so there is a similar issue to #1, but also there is a seal inside that I haven't located (or tried).

The best bet is to call Fuel Injection Corp (925-371-6551). They rebuild the 914-4 pumps, including machining a new pressure relief cap (button) from solid aluminum. They should be able to rebuild your pump.

Keep us posted. I have two 914-6 pumps that need rebuilding.
+Quote Post
rgalla9146
post Nov 22 2015, 08:53 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,176

QUOTE(McMark @ Nov 22 2015, 08:11 AM) *

I was able to find the o-rings in fuel-safe Viton, and have been able to get into the pumps to replace them. But there are two MAJOR issues with resealing a pump.

1. The outer housing is crimped onto the motor. These crimps are very difficult to pry apart and even harder to reinstall. If I were to even have a hope of making a reseal job work, I would expect to make special tooling to release and make those crimps.

2. The small silver 'button' on the side is the internal pressure relief. That cover is also crimped on, so there is a similar issue to #1, but also there is a seal inside that I haven't located (or tried).

The best bet is to call Fuel Injection Corp (925-371-6551). They rebuild the 914-4 pumps, including machining a new pressure relief cap (button) from solid aluminum. They should be able to rebuild your pump.

Keep us posted. I have two 914-6 pumps that need rebuilding.

Got a couple myself.
Anyone using one of the new Pierburg carb fuel pumps ?
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Nov 22 2015, 10:31 AM
Post #4

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Nov 22 2015, 09:53 AM) *

The funny thing about that thread on the bird is no one really admits that they have tried the pierburg pump. George is the only peep here that states he has used them.

Plus the only review on pelican is "I got it and ohhhh it is shiny and pretty ...can't wait to try it"
And it is a 5 star review no less...

I have not installed this pump yet, but my pre-installation impression is that it is extremely well made, very small and light. I look forward to seeing it in action.

WTF kind of totally fucking useless review is that (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Nov 23 2015, 02:49 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,995

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Nov 23 2015, 05:31 AM) *

QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Nov 22 2015, 09:53 AM) *

The funny thing about that thread on the bird is no one really admits that they have tried the pierburg pump. George is the only peep here that states he has used them.

Plus the only review on pelican is "I got it and ohhhh it is shiny and pretty ...can't wait to try it"
And it is a 5 star review no less...

I have not installed this pump yet, but my pre-installation impression is that it is extremely well made, very small and light. I look forward to seeing it in action.

WTF kind of totally fucking useless review is that (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif)

Yea I have reviewed and that rating drops back,there Chinese made regulator comes to mind,sent them an email regarding the fact it didn't fit properly,LOL they still list it,or I could send it back half way round the world @ my cost (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif),
Then I asked why they have a 914/6 conversion section when a large percentage of the parts are NLA ,they said they would review that.......nothing done.
Having said all this they are best of a bad bunch really,still my main supplier and they seem to be generous with discount codes,they have most hard parts if not I go to Stoddards.
Unless you are a really set on the correct pump I wouldn't bother reconing or buying a rebuilt unit, its well documented about failure of rebuilt units......maybe cause they are just old and were never made to be rebuilt,the Carter LP unit has a good rep.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th June 2024 - 08:47 AM