Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> D-Jet FI trigger points
TheIronSausage
post Dec 22 2015, 09:44 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,851
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Hi all,

I'm working on a '76 914. It's encumbered by being controlled by the malady that is D-Jetronic. Like every other important component in the system, the fuel injection trigger points seem to impossible to source. I've searched around, and found an article on this site suggesting Volvo sources. That article was from 2011, and I have a D-Jet Volvo, and was unable to find points or any other parts for it two years ago. That Volvo now wears a set of SU carbs as a result. The customer seems insistent on keeping his car as original as possible. In concept I have no problems with that request, but in practice, parts are hard to find, and expensive when found. Do any of you fine folk have a source for these? I'd greatly appreciate any help.

Thanks,
Matt
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
TheIronSausage
post Dec 26 2015, 11:11 AM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,851
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Thanks all for your responses. I would try adjusting the ones I have, but they're essentially rusted over from sitting in a super dank warehouse for so long. (914 sixer, PM sent).

So, I'm dying to know. Why do you guys love D-Jet so much? Let me start by saying that I've worked as a vintage sportscar mechanic for about a decade, and I'm familiar with and able to diagnose everything from D-Jet to Motronic, even Lucas Opus. I'm not normally the kind of guy to just slap a set of carbs on a failing injection system. However, every D-Jet car I've starting working on has needed several parts that have to be scrounged in used condition, and in the case of Volvos, at a high cost... For a part that's used, 40 years old, and with no warranty. I've driven Benzes, 914s, and Volvo 1800s and 140s with D-Jet. Some of them ran as they should, and they were fine to live with and were reliable. But they didn't perform any better than my Volvo that I've converted to SUs, and barely maintain. I've spent hours and hours tuning the D-Jet system in a Volvo 1800 to run well despite not having a functioning IAC ($250 used part). It turned out very well in the end. The car wanted a little extra gas for the first five minutes, and then it'd settle down to 800 RPM every time. It never stalled, and pulled fairly hard at WOT.. I can't say it was worth all the time I ate in the process to get the same driveability I've gotten from an hour rebuilding a set of SUs, and an hour of tuning to the car. That customer sold his car when the MAP sensor (affectionately dubbed the grenade by Volvo guys) died on him, and the cheapest one we could find was over $400 for either a used, or questionably "rebuilt" one. When something goes wrong with D-Jet, it can be hours of troubleshooting resistances through the harness, checking components, and finding vacuum leaks. This is the same with L-Jet for instance, but that system is way less susceptible to it's environment, and better built.

I get originality. In terms of everyday use, I as a mechanic can't tell why someone would want to live with questionable reliability, and a dwindling supply of parts to manage their engine's fuel delivery. I'm no parts hanger, I rebuild everything I can, and reverse engineer a lot of stuff. But few things make me grumble like seeing a D-Jet car come in on a rollback. Working on SPICA Alfas is up there.. At any rate, I don't want to piss in any of your Cheerios. I'm genuinely interested to understand the loyalty behind such an antiquated, and easily replaceable system.

Matt
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 10th June 2024 - 12:16 PM