Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Rebel racing rear trailing arm bushings- install help please
Mr. Olympic Blue 2 You
post Jan 2 2016, 08:09 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,150
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Hey gang,
I did find a thread or 2 about the rebel racing rear trailing arm bushings but never heard what holds the sleeve in the actual trailing arm...and of course no instructions were incl. I can call Clint on Monday of course but was hoping someone could pass along some install tips so I can wrap this up this weekend.

Are these supposed to be JB welded like the fronts? I'm not optimistic JB would hold in this area?

Any help appreciated!
Andrew
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
'73-914kid
post Jan 3 2016, 12:22 AM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,714
Region Association: Southern California

My steel sleeves slid in and out of my trailing arms easily as well. It is more logical to make them nominally smaller to allow for the massive variations in both diameter roundness due to the welding that occurred at the factory during manufacturing of the trailing arms.

Shmming around the sleeve is unnecessary. These are meant to be bonded in to the trailing arm with a 2 part epoxy, not remotely reliant upon a metallic interference fit. We liquid shim / bond aerospace components all day long without issue. (Composite Wing skin to composite wing root/ribs)

If you don't trust JB Weld, look into Loctite-Henkel products from aircraft spruce. Assuming you properly clean both the sleeve and the trailing arm, it's not going anywhere.

No re-engineering necessary to make these work. They aren't simple bolt on parts however, but I haven't found many parts on a 914 that are purchased in the aftermarket that are a direct bolt on fit. Hell, the poly-graphite trailing arm bushings take a ton a work to fit properly with the pivot shafts. No engineering work, just time and effort.....

My kit came with shim washers to set the free play of the arm once installed in the car. No other shims were needed.

Sorry if this response seemed snarky.. I installed these in an afternoon, and after a 36 hour cure time, I installed them on the car, and had everything aligned in a few hours.. I currently have 18,000 miles on them.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st June 2024 - 05:16 AM