Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Thoroughbred & Classic Cars Article on 914s, In the March Issue
motorvated
post Apr 5 2016, 10:19 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,519
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Great British classic car magazine that usually is very detailed and accurate with their write-ups. March issue has a piece where they drive a 1.7 and a 2.0 liter four, and they talk about the six. Since the 914 never was sold in right hand drive, not many made it into Great Britain, so their research and reporting seems a little thin. I'm sure the savvy World crew can find fault with the cars tested and some of the information in the article, but it's still an interesting read. Barnes & Noble carries the magazine, at least the ones in Denver do.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
Tom_T
post Apr 5 2016, 11:02 PM
Post #2

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181
Region Association: Southern California

Actually, the UK importer (name escapes me now) did do some really clean RHD 914 conversion for the UK, & the 914-2.0 was sold as the 914SC there. There was another group downunder doing the RHDs for OZ & NZ in that Brit Commonwealth market.

You can google for RHD 914s etc. & they'll come up. IIRC there's an older thread on here too about them.

VW/Porsche & Karmann did make provisions in the 914 des9gn for RHD, so the conversions were easier.

maybe some of our UK, OZ & Kiwi members will chime in here to add to the RHD story.

Cheers! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////
+Quote Post
porschefile2010
post Apr 5 2016, 11:14 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 13,118
Region Association: Australia and New Zealand

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Apr 6 2016, 05:02 PM) *

Actually, the UK importer (name escapes me now) did do some really clean RHD 914 conversion for the UK, & the 914-2.0 was sold as the 914SC there. There was another group downunder doing the RHDs for OZ & NZ in that Brit Commonwealth market.

maybe some of our UK, OZ & Kiwi members will chime in here to add to the RHD story.

Cheers! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////

Hi Tom and Motorvated
I am not sure that there was any organised conversion going on in the day. If you wanted a 914 you just imported it and if you wanted it to be RHD you went to a hopefully reputable engineer to do the job and get the work certified. And it is different in Oz compared to NZ I believe. In Oz you just couldn't have LHD so everything that went into Oz was converted.
In NZ there has been more latitude especially as cars have aged and there is no problem getting a registration for LHD but subject to a pretty strict Vin process which checks for everything from brakes to rust. If there is rust there is no vin and in some cases where guys have brought in US cars unseen they have ended up in the knackers yard and not on the road!

All the best

Richard
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st June 2024 - 02:29 PM