Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Racing body mods, opinions?
Jetsetsurfshop
post Apr 23 2016, 06:50 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,907
Region Association: South East States

Hey Guys,
Does anyone have an opinion on adding louvers or opening the front fender like this MR2? How about removing the rear bumper? I bet the chump rules wouldn't mine, I wonder about race organizations?
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
ThePaintedMan
post Apr 24 2016, 03:08 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,527
Region Association: South East States

Shane, the way I personally look at things is to stand on the shoulders of giants. I look at the problems Im having, then try to imitate/emulate the solutions that others have done. With a 40 year old car, we have some really good examples to work from, especially cars that are way faster than ours - the factory GTs, Racer Chris, the Sheridan car, etc. If they didnt cut holes in stuff needlessly, I'm not going to. It's sort of like when someone says they're going to remove their engine tin - I always assume the factory engineers, even 40 years ago knew more about what they were doing than I do theoretically.

In the case of that MR2, he's a good guy, but focuses way too much on doo dads and gadgets rather than getting the car to actually run 14 hours. I'm not sure ive ever seen him finish at Sebring. I wouldn't start cutting holes in the front fenders unless I had a severe brake overheating problem, but had already exhausted all the other solutions, personally.

Plus, after driving your car, I think it handles fan-freakin-tastic! If anything, if the car did another 10-20 mph, I'd consider adding a spoiler to the rear, to improve the aero balance. From what I understand, the 914 has more issues with the ass end walking around at high speeds than getting air out of the front wheel wells.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st June 2024 - 08:41 PM