Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Subaru conversion cable shifter, Where to get custom cables made?
post Apr 26 2016, 08:55 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,545

I know a few of you have done his. Looking for a little help on the cable shifter for the Subaru 5spd tranny. Where can I get custom cables made? Or is there a certain set of cables that will work from another vehicle ? Any help is greatly appreciated.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
madmax914
post Apr 26 2016, 09:11 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 17,007
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Here's a thread where they discuss cable manufactures.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=Control+Cables
+Quote Post
DBCooper
post Apr 26 2016, 11:05 AM
Post #3

14's in the 13's with ATTITUDE

Member No.: 2,618
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(madmax914 @ Apr 26 2016, 07:11 AM) *

Here's a thread where they discuss cable manufactures.
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=Control+Cables

QUOTE(matthepcat @ Apr 26 2016, 07:10 AM) *

Just a heads-up, I think the photos in all those links show two cables activating the shift rod directly, with no bell-crank in line. By that I mean that the in-out cables all attach directly, pushing the rod in and out, then the rotational cable makes a loop and comes in to the shift rod at a 90 degree angle to rotate the rod, so both cables make a direct connection to the rod without any kind of intermediate mechanism. I have two 914-WRX's with Subaru transmissions here, one with a direct cable connection like those shown in the links, and the other with a bell crank. Makes it possible to compare.

The advantage of the bell crank is that both cables come to the rear of the transmission together, compactly and in parallel. That's nice, but the down side is that the bell crank mechanism makes it far less precise, more vague. It's better than the stock 914 shifter, for sure, but once you've tried the direct connection and can compare you realize it's not nearly as nice as it could be. The direct cable connections, like any of the photos shown in those links, is really nice, notchy and precise.

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 9th June 2024 - 07:08 PM