Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Longitudinal metal thicknesses
gisound
post May 17 2016, 07:01 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,584

Getting ready to start cutting out rust and making patches! Those of you that have done this yourselves, what are the metal thicknesses on the longs? Are the inners and outers the same thickness? Also, are the "doubled areas" the same? Wish me luck bringing this one back!

Blair
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
gisound
post May 19 2016, 01:36 PM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,584

The reason I asked the question in the first place was I had read thru a lot of the rustorations on here. And was trying to get an idea for what I would need to look at. I've seen widely varying thicknesses used on a lot of these longitudinal repairs. People have used anywhere from 18ga. (.048") up to 11ga.(.121")! I certainly hope there aren't any restorations riding around on large patches in the structural areas made from 18 ga. or worse yet 20 ga! The reason I say this is I was able to dig into the car some today and put a micrometer on the outer clamshell area of the longitudinal and it measures .0745". on clean bare metal. Thats 14ga. almost twice as thick as 18 ga! I haven't been able to dig into the thickness of the inside "doubled" areas as of yet. But will report back when I get there. And I agree RD makes excellent parts for replacing a lot of these pieces, I'm sure I'll be using some myself. especially when I get to the floorpans!

Blair
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 10th June 2024 - 11:19 AM