Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Wanted: Painter near SE Michigan, Looking for recommendations
mangrum
post Apr 7 2016, 09:19 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,134

Hi Guys,

I have a '72 914 that needs a paint job. I have done a bit of body work and am looking for a shop that would be willing and able to do the paint work.

Anyone have any recommendations for shops SE Michigan?

Thanks,
Mike

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
mangrum
post Jul 12 2016, 11:40 AM
Post #2

Found a painter and work has started.

The first challenge was finding a shop that would do a paint job. Most shops just do insurance collision work. Second challenge was finding a shop that would do a paint job on top of my body work. Third challenge was finding a shop that would come to my house to look at the car since is not drive-able without doors, lights, etc. Fourth challenge was finding a shop that would do a paint job at a reasonable cost. One shop suggested $15k and another 7.5k and could not guarantee it would not be higher.

Anyway, work has started and the shop owner said it is a very solid car. But I pretty much knew that.

Last challenge is to get the job finished in a reasonable amount of time. This is not high on the priority list since the shop's bread and butter is in insurance collision work.

Mike

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
Cornerlot
post Jul 14 2016, 12:52 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 20,070
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(mangrum @ Jul 12 2016, 01:40 PM) *

Found a painter and work has started....

Can I ask the shop's name? I too am looking for reasonable paint work. In your same area I visited 'Stony Creek Collision', a well know Porsche/BMW shop. They wanted $20k to respray a targa with NO rust or collision damage.

Steve
+Quote Post
mangrum
post Jul 15 2016, 08:22 AM
Post #4

Steve,

I also talked to Stony Creek. It took several months to get Craig to look at my car, and he only did that when I dropped the name of someone he does business with. After looking at the car to gain an understanding of the condition and my expectations, I expected him to give me a price. He instead asked what I wanted to pay. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif) When I responded with $1,000 more than I'm now paying I never head back. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Mike

QUOTE(Cornerlot @ Jul 14 2016, 02:52 PM) *

Can I ask the shop's name? I too am looking for reasonable paint work. In your same area I visited 'Stony Creek Collision', a well know Porsche/BMW shop. They wanted $20k to respray a targa with NO rust or collision damage.

Steve

+Quote Post
Cornerlot
post Jul 15 2016, 08:29 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 20,070
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(mangrum @ Jul 15 2016, 10:22 AM) *

Steve,

I also talked to Stony Creek. It took several months to get Craig to look at my car, and he only did that when I dropped the name of someone he does business with. After looking at the car to gain an understanding of the condition and my expectations, I expected him to give me a price. He instead asked what I wanted to pay. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif) When I responded with $1,000 more than I'm now paying I never head back. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Mike

QUOTE(Cornerlot @ Jul 14 2016, 02:52 PM) *

Steve

Exactly... who's doing the job for you now? You can PM me the name if you prefer.

Steve
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st June 2024 - 06:01 AM