Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> OT: brake bleeding on newer ABS cars, what's your take?
draganc
post Jul 25 2016, 10:59 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,000
Region Association: North East States

Hi folks!

Just curious what the group's opinion is on changing/bleeding brake fluid on newer street driven cars (i.e. CLK500 @2000mls/year) with ABS:

1) Yes, every 2 years or

2) I have never done it and my car drives just fine

Also, how much different is the work with ABS, compare to our 914s?

Just trying to get some education before talking to my "new" car mechanic.

Thanks, (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
dc

PS: I know this topic/questions will be opinionated.

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
Chris914n6
post Jul 25 2016, 12:45 PM
Post #2

Jackstands are my life.

Member No.: 431
Region Association: Southwest Region

Brake fluid absorbs water so yes it needs changed. I wait until I do brakes.

Mark where the level is before if you are not putting in all new pads and rotors. It's a balanced system, if you "top it off" it will leak out and eat paint later when you push the cylinders back in to fit new meaty pads.

ABS cars are a PITA. With a 914 or other non ABS car you can use a vacuum or pressure bleeder making it a 1 person job. ABS needs either a pedal pusher or dealer electronics.

Side note- if it says you need dealer electronics you might just need a pedal pusher, as being a dealer tech is a solo job.
+Quote Post
mgp4591
post Jul 25 2016, 08:22 PM
Post #3

914 Guru

Member No.: 14,748
Region Association: Intermountain Region

QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Jul 25 2016, 12:45 PM) *

Brake fluid absorbs water so yes it needs changed. I wait until I do brakes.

Mark where the level is before if you are not putting in all new pads and rotors. It's a balanced system, if you "top it off" it will leak out and eat paint later when you push the cylinders back in to fit new meaty pads.

ABS cars are a PITA. With a 914 or other non ABS car you can use a vacuum or pressure bleeder making it a 1 person job. ABS needs either a pedal pusher or dealer electronics.

Side note- if it says you need dealer electronics you might just need a pedal pusher, as being a dealer tech is a solo job.

Chris, do you ever do the gravity bleed system? I found the vacuum systems work okay to an extent but I'd top off the system, open the r.r. bleeder and let it flow until the M/C level dropped considerably. All of this after I sucked the reservoir empty, cleaned it out and replaced with clean fluid, then started the gravity procedure. Then closed the r.r. and proceeded around the car in the correct sequence. This way I could do other work on the car or another car without babysitting the vacuum bleeder... saved me time and made me money!
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 9th June 2024 - 11:42 AM