Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Amount of paint to re-paint a 914
Sea Dragon 914
post Mar 22 2017, 11:21 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 358
Region Association: Northern California

I'm considering shooting my own car this summer. I am thinking of using two stage paint and will be painting the exterior up to the weather rubber channels in the trunks and the door jambs.

Anyone know about how many gallons of paint it will take to shoot? I'm thinking three coats of base followed by two or three coats of clear. I've already finished most of the body work and have most of the car stripped and primered.

Thanks
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
Olympic 914
post Mar 22 2017, 01:31 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 13,287
Region Association: North East States

I painted the whole car inside and out.

For the undersides, inside the trunks and interior I used 5 quarts of PPG JAU two part single stage.

For the outside of the body, door jams, underside of trunk lids etc. I bought 1Gal of PPG DCC Concept, also single stage. Did 4 coats

not trying to sell PPG here, but its what I used.

I still have to paint the front trunk lid and it looks like I will have maybe under a quart of paint left.

Keep in mind the mix needed, this paint is 4-2-1 paint/reducer/hardener, so 1 gal of paint equals 1 3/4 gal of "ready to spray" (RTS) mixture

I would estimate 1 gal each of paint and clear with the correct reducers and hardeners should give you some left over to account for any mistakes, or future repairs. Its good to have extra of the same paint on hand rather than counting on a paint shop to get an exact match when mixing another batch.

Also plan on getting epoxy primer and some high build primer.
+Quote Post
jd74914
post Mar 23 2017, 11:28 AM
Post #3

Its alive

Member No.: 1,659
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(Olympic 1.7 @ Mar 22 2017, 02:31 PM) *

For the outside of the body, door jams, underside of trunk lids etc. I bought 1Gal of PPG DCC Concept, also single stage. Did 4 coats

not trying to sell PPG here, but its what I used.

I still have to paint the front trunk lid and it looks like I will have maybe under a quart of paint left.

I used the same paint and same quantities on the outside. The only difference is that I had to redo the lids so I was left with almost no paint.
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd June 2024 - 10:50 PM