Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Keep Stock oil cooler and oil filter with full flow w/ external oil cooler, Full flow case to external oil cooler
lonewolfe
post May 6 2017, 06:54 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,549
Region Association: Northern California

Is there any reason not to keep the stock oil cooler and stock oil filter setup when running a full flow case to an external oil cooler?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
Mark Henry
post May 6 2017, 07:39 PM
Post #2

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

The reason I'd give is when you tap and plug the pump you actually enlarge the outlet hole and that hole sits in a little deeper than the stock T4 pump. You are risking a leak directly into the case where you definitely don't want a leak.
It's likely is a low risk but why take it?

The other thing is the stock console has a bypass valve that is redundant, as most modern oil filters have a built in bypass valve.

Personally I prefer using the full flow cover method, but if you want to keep the stock console I'd recommend using a filter adapter.

You do realize to run a full flow cover on a 914 you have to modify the 3/4 side engine mount to clear the outlet.
+Quote Post
lonewolfe
post May 6 2017, 08:47 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 13,549
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ May 6 2017, 06:39 PM) *

The reason I'd give is when you tap and plug the pump you actually enlarge the outlet hole and that hole sits in a little deeper than the stock T4 pump. You are risking a leak directly into the case where you definitely don't want a leak.
It's likely is a low risk but why take it?

The other thing is the stock console has a bypass valve that is redundant, as most modern oil filters have a built in bypass valve.

Personally I prefer using the full flow cover method, but if you want to keep the stock console I'd recommend using a filter adapter.

You do realize to run a full flow cover on a 914 you have to modify the 3/4 side engine mount to clear the outlet.

Yes, I realize one of the engine bar mounts needs modification. I purchased a set of modified engine mount brackets from Mark Henry.

So, you're saying to eliminate the stock oil filter console with a block off plate and keep the stock oil cooler in place. Then add a remote oil filter mount inline with the oil line to external oil cooler plumbing?
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post May 7 2017, 09:46 AM
Post #4

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

QUOTE(lonewolfe @ May 6 2017, 10:47 PM) *

Yes, I realize one of the engine bar mounts needs modification. I purchased a set of modified engine mount brackets from Mark Henry.

Doh! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/slap.gif)
That's right you did! One to many chairs to the head in the ring....(IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Just use a remote filter mount , super easy and cheap.
Use type 4 filter WIX (NAPA gold) or mahle.

The best low cost hose is Parker pushloc with real pushloc fittings. No clamps!
I've used parker pushloc for years, no clamps, never a failure.

Note any hose can fail from improper installation, like not using grommets, sitting on an exhaust pipe, sharp edges, etc
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st June 2024 - 06:45 PM