Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Chemical stripper, for paint!
MattR
post Nov 3 2004, 08:07 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,589
Region Association: Northern California

So Im about ready to get all the old paint off my car and I was thinking of using chemical stripper. Whats the best stuff? Ive heard aircraft stripper, but I live in Cali-stinkin-fornia, so nothing is legal. Any suggestions on where to pick up something that works on LA or orange county?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
dmenche914
post Nov 3 2004, 08:21 PM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 366

Aircraft brand is the best I have found for car paint, some furnature stripper do not touch car paint, and I have found that my old favorite must have a different formulation now, and no longer works well, adn that was jasco brand.

if you can get Aircraft brand, it works, however DANGER. use glasses, use rubber gloves, do it outside in the wind! It will eat thru many brands of gloves, get thick ones. It will blind you, it actually burns the skin on contact, and if you tough out the bruning rahter than cold water wash, it will leave blisters that hurt, no shit, powerful stuff, it works.

talk with some body experts before stripping major portions of a car with stripper. there are some pitfalls with stripper, like nuetralization, keeping it out of seams, etc... So check into the technique. i personally would not want to strip a car without understanding all the issues, and the dangers.
for small parts that are removed, and in some applications total cars stripper is good, but it can be a painters nightmare if not done correctly.

good luck
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 11th June 2024 - 09:49 AM